Acoustic samples ?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Alban
broke
Acoustic samples ?

Post by Alban »

Hello everyone, I'm looking for good acoustic drum samples to get a particular sound ( will create a sort of mixture between huge acoustic ones and electronic ones).

i don't have a recorder yet to record mines with real drum kits so...

Moreover, I'm looking for good "industrial" samples and stuff like this. I searched a lot on internet with websites like Freesound.org or others (Native instruments packs... (Kinetic metal is good?)) but most of time it sounds crap and it is not what i'm looking for.

The only solution seems to be buying a recorder like zoom ones and go spend time in old commissioned plants with dusty/dirt objects and metal structures...isn't it ?

I know you can really fuck up sounds with graindelay/ granular synthesis / distorsion+filtering and reverb stuff... or with synths like Reaktor ones (skrewell, Drone-E...) but it's not enough and i'm fed up using my mouse to get a super dirty sound...

I think I will buy real reverb pedals and distorsion ones to achieve this kind of sound (Vatican Shadow mhhh?...) If you know good ones i will notice it too.

Hope you can help me :D and sorry for this crap english :(

ashley BORG
Small Penis
Re: Acoustic samples ?

Post by ashley BORG »

Geist has a good drum library. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of acoustics. I would think with some processing you might get the sounds you're after. It might still be on sale (it comes with the software)

tdmusic
Informer

Post by tdmusic »

BFD Eco often seems to be on sale and is meant to be pretty realistic if you're after "proper" acoustic drums that you can then fuck up if you so desire, I think it has a few drums really heavily multi-sampled and can simulate all the mic placement etc... It's on for $29 at JRRShop at the min: http://www.jrrshop.com/fxpansion-bfd-ec ... ad-license so maybe worth a go! Note that in the past they've taken up to 24 hours to send the licence code for stuff so don't worry if you don't get it right away.
Last edited by tdmusic on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

Alban wrote: The only solution seems to be buying a recorder like zoom ones and go spend time in old commissioned plants with dusty/dirt objects and metal structures...isn't it ?
This is the best solution. Although you can just do it around the house or wherever.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Tascam DR05 if you are on a budget(or mobile phone till you get one)

Kitchen

Pick up rolling pin or large wooden spoon.

Hit the following
Record

Then hit
Wok
Saucepan
Frying pan
Cooker grill
Washing machine drum
Chopping board

Open cutlery draw then
Rattle cutlery

Sharpen knives

Open and close scissors

Crinkle tin foil

Improvise with anything else potentially resonant.

Turn on computer, insert samples, repitch, compress, reverb etc

Welcome to the wonderful world of clunks and clanks and knocks.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

yay for field recorders

one of the coolest things in my opinion is not just that wacking a saucepan can make a cool sound (of course it can) - it's that you hit it 30 times in different ways and make a whole drumrack (or whatever) of different hits to play with. having lots of variations helps a lot with making something feel more natural or organic

thank god for drum racks

Alban
broke

Post by Alban »

mhhh yeah, already good ideas here ! My budget for a recorder is around 150 €, but maybe the Tascam DR05 you suggested me is enough for this task ?

atom_output
Jan : )

Post by atom_output »

i use my android phone for all kinds of recordings, it's definitely not as good as say zoom recording or any other semi-professional recorder for that matter, but if you're not in the mood for buying new pieces of equipment and incidentally possess any smartphone - there you go. after treating those recordings right with eq and fx - instant industrial :)

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

A good quality teach-yourself-drumming dvd will be chock full of one-shots and grooves at various tempos. ;)

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Yeah field recorder is the way to go for those kinda sounds. I recorded my washing machine's spin cycle the other week, instant techno.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

So when you say acoustic you mean industrial sounds and not actually realistic drum kits? You could probably get those kind of sounds in a sample pack for foley or cinematic sound design. A recorder would be a better investment IMO.

msl wrote:Yeah field recorder is the way to go for those kinda sounds. I recorded my washing machine's spin cycle the other week, instant techno.
Ha. Weird, I did the same thing the other night. The missus thought I was being properly geeky. Sadly I only caught the end, so I'm paying close attention to her washing schedule.

Alban
broke

Post by Alban »

I can see i wrote strange things and wrong ones in my first message, I was probably high, sorry for that.

Yeah I was thinking about recording real drums, then mix them with classic machine drums. And after processing, effects, filtering, distorsion...I should have what i desire.

I'm currently looking for a recorder. So yeah, next purchase !

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Alban wrote:I can see i wrote strange things and wrong ones in my first message, I was probably high, sorry for that.

Yeah I was thinking about recording real drums, then mix them with classic machine drums. And after processing, effects, filtering, distorsion...I should have what i desire.

I'm currently looking for a recorder. So yeah, next purchase !
Yo. Good thinking. I've used a lot of free acoustic drum samples in my productions before, there are tons of them out on the web to download.
You wont be disappointed with a field recorder.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005