korg electribe

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
osha
Suspect Handshake
korg electribe

Post by osha »

keep hearing some fun things about them anyone have some insight?

xonetacular
Gnasher
Re: korg electribe

Post by xonetacular »

I don't have too much experience with them but the short amount of time I spent on them a couple years ago I wasn't particularly impressed, I found the interface to be kind of annoying. There is so much good and cheap hardware out or coming out soon I don't think they are really worth looking at. What exactly are you looking for?

osha
Suspect Handshake

Post by osha »

well i mainly work with ableton and some small outboard equipment (mfb drum, dx21, etc..). I'm looking for a budget sampler that can give me some grit along with a step sequencer to play on like. i realize ableton gives me much more precise results but turning knobs is more fun for me, which usually leads to extended jam sessions and what have you.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I was messing about with a hardware synth today for about half an hour. I opened up Sylenth & 2mins later I switched off the synth haha

Want to get an Electribe EM1 though :mrgreen:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/etm.php

Seems to have the best rep of any of them, from the previous owners & small ad watchers.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

tdmusic
Informer

Post by tdmusic »

The Electribe R app on the iPad is a lot of fun but I was hoping they'd update it with some of the features of the more advanced Electribes at some point as it can be a bit too limiting to get the sounds you want, particularly with the drums. Doesn't seem to be happening though! Still, good fun to see what you can achieve with (by today's standards) a very limited setup!

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

Korg have just announced a Volca series based on the Electribe. Might be worth a look. You can pick and choose the parts you want as well if say you only want the beat section. I've not got any hardware at the moment mainly due to cost and space, but depending on the reviews might check out one or two of these just to test the water before I fully dip my balls in :D

http://www.korg.com/volcaseries

gavisthename
leper

Post by gavisthename »

Johnlad wrote:Korg have just announced a Volca series based on the Electribe. Might be worth a look. You can pick and choose the parts you want as well if say you only want the beat section. I've not got any hardware at the moment mainly due to cost and space, but depending on the reviews might check out one or two of these just to test the water before I fully dip my balls in :D

http://www.korg.com/volcaseries
Like dipping your balls in the bath ... is it gonna be too hot????? :lol:

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

Exactly... Don't want to splash out and get burnt ;)

youtu.be/fAtzMfhmf1k

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Some of them are great, some are good.

The ESX-1 is a great sample based groove box. I wish I never sold mine.. Easy to use, some great hidden creative tricks in it.
The ER-1 is also a lovely drum machine, I really want my one back, but I also stupidly sold it.
I`ve heard some nice things done on the EMX as well.
Overall the working method on them is pretty intuitive.

Here is a great demo of the Er1

youtu.be/X43aMLKuWKM
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Kick ass sounds..
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I didn't like the er1 and sold it and put the money toward a machinedrum. I think I would like the esx though. The fact you can change the tubes is exciting enough
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I think the er1 had to be really dug in to, to appreciate it. Like anything really.
On the surface of it, the Machine drum is full of thin and abrasive sounds, which turned a lot of people off from them.
Dig in and the machinedrum is pretty awesome.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

Hi guys,

I don´t know if you remember me (I know Hades does:)). I was struggling with university but now I have a feew weeks to make Techno/Ambient again. Do any of you ESX users changed the tubes by any chance? I read that if you put ECC803 in it, the sound is punchier, less distorted and not so noisy. What I want is more distortion but with less noise. Stock tubes are Harmonix 12 AX 7. So do you now a tube model which does this. I read that less distortion is not the problem but if you want more you have to change the amp itself. Beside that, maybe there are some differences not in the tube type, but with the different brands? Some dudes put Mesa tubes in it, and I wonder how this sounds?

Have nice holidays dudes,

greetings from berlin

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hey man. Nice to see you around again.

I'm not see about the tubes.. I was always of the impression that they were for show.. starved plate see in with some orange lights. Excellent if you can make a Difference in sound. Ive never used those Electribes.

Since this thread began, I've used the EM1 & ER1 ' mk1.

Sold the EM1. It's ok. May be I the Electribes could do odd pattern length, it would have been more useful.. but you either dig the sounds or not. It's like that.

The ER1 on the other hand is a forever keeper.

It's a pure electro / synthetic techno machine. The sequencer is limited by pattern length - only allowing 1,2,3 or 4 bars in a seq. However.. the sounds are incredible. It shines at noisy percussion and hats. You can get some cool shit ringmodding things off Each other. Really great box. There's a distortion dial on each sound that can be hit & miss.. but it can bring the kick (with some juggling) up to a (poor mans) OD 909.

It's a poor mans 808, 909 & machinedrum. Great value. I can see myself using it later.. sampling out noisy hats or s&h melodies.

It's THE old one that people should be interested in.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

I can only really comment on the EMX. I sold my ESX because it was too noisy. If I remember right, this noise is not due to the tubes, it's noisy on the other outputs too and they are on a separate path than the one through the tubes.

On the EMX, I swapped my EHX for a couple different types, and settled on some JJs which have been in there for several years now. Yes, it's a starved plate design but it still sounds nice and grungy to my ears, much better than the other cheap digital distortions that come out of the machine, at least. I read a while back on some 12ax7 compatible tube designed to run at very low voltage, I can't remember the name but you can probably google it if starved plated designs bother you. I was always curious about this but never tried it.

It's a long time since I had my ESX, but if I remember right it has a tiny gain pot right next to the tubes. You might want to fiddle with this, turning it down and perhaps trying a higher gain tube if the output is low. Perhaps this may change the SNR, but from what I got from reading around on different forums, the ESX is generally considered to have a pretty noisy output stage, worse than the EMX, although some ESX seem to be more noisy than others, and no one really knows why. Perhaps Korg made some minor component changes at some point :/

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Noisy can be nice though! Sounds interesting :)

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

I put some Mullard ECC83 reissues in mine, and it is much improved on the EHX ones. More gain, less hiss. Gives added punch with a bit of warmth on the side. Maybe not the best choice if distortion is what you want though. It is definitely worth trying out some different tubes though, the stock ones are basically unusable past about halfway on the gain imo, but I regularly run kick drums and stuff through these Mullards (reissues) at full gain. It is noisy, but punchy as hell and sounds good to me.

Lots to consider here: https://www.watfordvalves.com/products. ... to=&page=1