Bass and glide/pitch modulation

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amøbe
Moderate
Bass and glide/pitch modulation

Post by Amøbe »

It's been too long since we last had a proper bass thread!

Recently I've been wondering about a certain type of bass that you sometimes hear, where there's some pitch movement. (only example I could quickly come up with was from this function mix, right when the beat starts after a minute or so)

In the archived bass thread Mattias wrote about using LFOs to create movement, and I have had some-ish luck with that. I can't completely figure out, how to go about it, but it seems like having LFOs restart, and then using them as funny envelopes mapped to pitch gets you in the ball park.

Another thing I tried doing was to use glide - but I can't for the life of me get that to groove. So I feel like I've only peeked into an area of techno that I would call sub-bassline - not rumbles, but very deeeeeep bass that has some sort of pitch movement (I think the drumcoders do this a lot).

So maybe this could be a thread about pitch movement and how to achieve it in the sub - not mid - bass :) (I don't think this has been covered in here before)

illit_
Gazza
Re: Bass and glide/pitch modulation

Post by illit_ »

Ooh yeah I wonder about this too. I've had mild success drawing notes in and using the glide feature and a lfo on the pitch that restarts on the note hit. Sometimes I think its more in the cutoff opening than the pitch changing that much.

My go to sub trick is using a sine wave an octave and a half up mixed in, then filtering it right off and using a envelope to open it up. Makes a very present sub at the least, havent gone too wild on pitchy moving basses. Might give it a blast later and see what I can come up with.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

illit_ wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:48 pm

My go to sub trick is using a sine wave an octave and a half up mixed in, then filtering it right off and using a envelope to open it up. Makes a very present sub at the least, havent gone too wild on pitchy moving basses. Might give it a blast later and see what I can come up with.
That sounds interesting - do you have some screendumps, because I'm not completely sure what you do with the envelope :oops:

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Like this. A and B are both Sinewaves, they have the same ADSR.
Subbend.png
Subbend.png (83.85 KiB) Viewed 31198 times
It's really the B osc that gives the sub the noticeable harmonic, it's not just pure inaudible. Can get osc B very subtle and it still has a good effect.

Messing with the attack and decay on the filter and the LFO parameters resulted in some fun sub whubs :lol:

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Thanks for the insights :) I've experimented a bit these last days, and the combination of movement in pitch combined with movement in the filter seems to take the sound into the place I'm interested in

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I do this a fair bit, especially with the drum and bass stuff.

I mostly program it via pitch bend, occasionally I`ll use pitch envelopes in the synth itself, sometimes automating the envelopes, usually not via an lfo or whatever though, though occasionally.
You usually have to be a little ahead of the beat with this kind of stuff, so you need to use phase or ofset with lfo`s, so I just usually straight up do it manually.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I might add that the Function example you posted has no glide or pitch modulation. It`s just two notes playing in sequence.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:53 pm
I might add that the Function example you posted has no glide or pitch modulation. It`s just two notes playing in sequence.
Haha perfect (it didn't sound completely, what I was looking for) :oops: , but thanks for the tip! Yeah sub basses that aren't rumbles seem to be a lot more common in dnb