This is the New Gear thread !

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
This is the New Gear thread !

Post by msl »

Hi everyone, why don't we have a new gear thread ? Or did I not find it ? Its a cool opportunity to see what everyone is buying / using, ask questions etc etc. Anyway just an idea.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: Where's the New Gear thread ?

Post by over9000 »

We have a whole forum for that The Bench :lol:

But i see what you mean, sometimes it feels too much to open a new thread for a single small question

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Yeah, it can be fun to see what everyone is getting and how they are getting on with it.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well this is the new gear thread now...

I`m probably going to buy a LXR02 this weekend. Nearly pulled the trigger on a Perkons, but swerved at the last minute as it`s just oo.....techno-ey...
So... LXR, a bit weirder, more digital crunch and kinda Microtonic-ey.

I got an Akai Force this year, for the live PA. It`s just amazing.

Still thinking about getting a Hydrasynth as well. I`m deep into wavetable synthesis right now, and it seems like the best option.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:42 am

I`m probably going to buy a LXR02 this weekend. Nearly pulled the trigger on a Perkons, but swerved at the last minute as it`s just oo.....techno-ey...

Still thinking about getting a Hydrasynth as well. I`m deep into wavetable synthesis right now, and it seems like the best option.
ive got an lxr02 for sale if you want one :)

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Got a Model:Cycles a few weeks back. Love it and its limitations, mostly.

A lot of fun using with ableton and the M4L remote control. Easily set up lfos for every parameter.

https://nukemodular.gumroad.com/l/JrdvW

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

kronk wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:29 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

ive got an lxr02 for sale if you want one :)
I'm interested
New Shit

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

I'm again/still thinking of getting an MPC1000 - just to make things annoying I guess

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

speen wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:57 pm
I'm again/still thinking of getting an MPC1000 - just to make things annoying I guess
Just out of interest, why that MPC specifically? I can imagine one getting an MPC60 for a good reason and perhaps an MPC3000 as well. And I can imagine reasons for getting one of the more modern options. But what do MPC's from the 500/1000/2500-era have to offer in 2023? They aren't particularly cheap either, an MPC1000 typically goes for about 500€, which is a lot of money for what it is.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

You are right, there is probably not much to gain soundwise and there is also nothing you can't do with ableton. But I'm considering this for a few years now and it might be interesting to switch things up and learn something new.

Why I consider the 1000 is the size, it should be fine to use it on the couch.

Also, I like to limit myself and like Mr G's tunes and also enjoy making a simple hiphop beat every once in a while.

It might not turn out as expected, but then I can probably sell it again for the price I paid for it.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

speen wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:41 pm
You are right, there is probably not much to gain soundwise and there is also nothing you can't do with ableton. But I'm considering this for a few years now and it might be interesting to switch things up and learn something new.

Also, I like to limit myself and like Mr G's tunes and also enjoy making a simple hiphop beat every once in a while.

It might not turn out as expected, but then I can probably sell it again for the price I paid for it.
Unless you need the extra outs and the velocity sensitive pads for finger drumming hip hop beats, an Elektron Digitakt IMHO completely destroys the MPC1000. 2nd hand price is about the same as the MPC.

I've seen that famous Mr G MPC2000 Boiler Room live set like 10 times. I had an MPC2000 for like 5 years and still got no idea how one could play live with it like that. Especially if he also made the music with the same MPC and doesn't just play loops and samples with it, that were made elsewhere. I found it clunky and difficult to use for anything else than very simple, finger drummed hip hop beats. And I was a hardware nerd, used to all kinds of clunkiness of old gear. I didn't come from a computer musician background.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

Barfunkel wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:57 pm
speen wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:41 pm

Unless you need the extra outs and the velocity sensitive pads for finger drumming hip hop beats, an Elektron Digitakt IMHO completely destroys the MPC1000. 2nd hand price is about the same as the MPC.

I've seen that famous Mr G MPC2000 Boiler Room live set like 10 times. I had an MPC2000 for like 5 years and still got no idea how one could play live with it like that. Especially if he also made the music with the same MPC and doesn't just play loops and samples with it, that were made elsewhere. I found it clunky and difficult to use for anything else than very simple, finger drummed hip hop beats. And I was a hardware nerd, used to all kinds of clunkiness of old gear. I didn't come from a computer musician background.
You are probably right, and that's why i've been holding off buying one - but those Elektron machines look so horribly boring, I just don't get a good vibe from it.
Best thing would probably be to borrow one for a while to see if it works for what I want from it..

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Recently added to my outbound gear including 2 x RND 542 tape emulators and 1 dual channel TubeDrve by singular audio (think Culture Vulture in a 500 series affordable package) placed into a RND R6 Lunchbox. I have 2 open slots so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

orchard wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:37 am
Got a Model:Cycles a few weeks back. Love it and its limitations, mostly.

A lot of fun using with ableton and the M4L remote control. Easily set up lfos for every parameter.

https://nukemodular.gumroad.com/l/JrdvW
Nice, there is also this free fix to do multitrack audio via usb that was posted in another thread.
These two combined make it super powerfull
I always loved the device, but sold it because of the limited outs. That would be solved now..
I might get a used one :twisted:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

OK scrap that. I'm not getting an LXR or Perkons.
I've come to the realisation I just don't like synthetic drums all that much, which was causing my constant indecision over a drum machine.

Fuck drums machines 😀
New Shit

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:44 pm
I've come to the realisation I just don't like synthetic drums all that much, which was causing my constant indecision over a drum machine.

Fuck drums machines 😀
On a techno forum :o :lol:

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Amøbe wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:34 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:

Fuck drums machines 😀
On a techno forum :o :lol:
Ooh...Autobahn!

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Lost to the Void wrote:

Fuck drums machines 😀
TBH these days all you need is good drum samples and a sampler/computer. Outbound gear for processing those sounds is money better spent IMHO.
https://samplesfrommars.com/products/tr-909-samples < these are loaded on my analog drum machine...LOL.
Ableton's operator can get you the rest. As I told you I have an LXR and it does sound good and they made improvements to the firmware but after a few days I get tired and bored of it after giving it another go. Perkons sounds the same in a lot of demos I saw and even I was excited by it. But I realized gear isn't going to give me what I want...I have to make it myself ;). BTW, you have great drums already from what I hear from your tracks!

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Woohoo.
Lost to the Void wrote:
Fuck drums machines 😀
Hahaha well I do like the LXR its been on my list too... went for the Polyend instead. Super fun machine to compose on, very frustrating in other respects, like exporting audio, but still enjoying it. Also got a pair of Numann NDH 30s to see what all the hype was about.
Lost to the Void wrote:
Same... talked myself out of it though. Now I'm considering a Korg Wavestate.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

mindstuff wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:03 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

Fuck drums machines 😀
TBH these days all you need is good drum samples and a sampler/computer. Outbound gear for processing those sounds is money better spent IMHO.
https://samplesfrommars.com/products/tr-909-samples < these are loaded on my analog drum machine...LOL.
Ableton's operator can get you the rest. As I told you I have an LXR and it does sound good and they made improvements to the firmware but after a few days I get tired and bored of it after giving it another go. Perkons sounds the same in a lot of demos I saw and even I was excited by it. But I realized gear isn't going to give me what I want...I have to make it myself ;). BTW, you have great drums already from what I hear from your tracks!
I was flitting between perkons and LXR and to be honest I have been doing this with drum machines for about a year and a half.
I used to have a machine drum, had an analogue rhythm too.
I just finally realised that I don`t like synthetic drums. They lack the harmonic complexity I prefer overall, to get a drum machine that I will end up resampling and taking way away from what it actually sounds like. I might as well just continue to make or appropriate the samples and sample pieces I like to make my own drums. I`ve felt like I "needed" a drum machine, but realised I would never use it.
Almost, almost got a Soma Pulsar too. Same problem.
New Shit