Bleeps and bloops

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amøbe
Moderate
Bleeps and bloops

Post by Amøbe »

Okay this might be silly that I can't figure this out yet, but bleep sounds is really difficult for me to dial in.

Usually i try with sines or fm, but they tend to be either super thing or easily too harsh and bell like. What I'm looking for is sort of very simple sounds that sounds a bit like telephone dials or that sound radars always make in films. They are all over techno (gonna find some examples) and I like how they can contrast a harder groove (the reason I'm asking is that I usually use pads for contrasts, but they are sometimes contrasting too much).

Maybe I should try a subtractive approach - if that's the case, how would you go about it? Is squares good for bleeps, when they are filtered?

(I'm of course going to experiment a bit now, but if anybody has some pointers it would be much appreciated)

illit_
Gazza
Re: Bleeps and bloops

Post by illit_ »

I was messing around in Operator yesterday doing bleeps n that. Use 2 carriers and adjust the phase of one by 50%. You can get in a wide ball park of tones pretty quickly without using filters.

Obviously if the waves are the same they cancel out, but Ableton has variations on the basic shapes, and adjusting the fundamental does some funky stuff. Add in some weird pitch bending + play with the time and tone parameter, I had a weird thing going yesterday from that :D

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

illit_ wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:36 pm
I was messing around in Operator yesterday doing bleeps n that. Use 2 carriers and adjust the phase of one by 50%. You can get in a wide ball park of tones pretty quickly without using filters.

Obviously if the waves are the same they cancel out, but Ableton has variations on the basic shapes, and adjusting the fundamental does some funky stuff. Add in some weird pitch bending + play with the time and tone parameter, I had a weird thing going yesterday from that :D
Ah cool :)

So just to make sure I got it right. They are not modulating each other, but are both producing an output right?

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Amøbe wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:36 pm
illit_ wrote:

So just to make sure I got it right. They are not modulating each other, but are both producing an output right?
Yeh that's it. It's changing the wave shape using the phase inversion. If you have the melda oscilloscope you can see what's happening to the shape

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

illit_ wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:09 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:36 pm
illit_ wrote:

Yeh that's it. It's changing the wave shape using the phase inversion. If you have the melda oscilloscope you can see what's happening to the shape
New stuff to play with - never went down that route! Thanks man <3

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

the gear lusty answer:
Moog DFAM (or eurorack but thats another topic)
instant bleep madness, i had the same problems as you before i got it

but now i think it comes down alot to pitch and velocity modulation, something which the dfam also does in a excellent way.
I think triangle waves are amazing for bleeps, maybe with a bit of square wave from another osc mixed in.
then play around with the pitch envelope.
to get a nice techno pattern a good delay (echoboy eg) is essential

What i dident find out in the box yet is how to get a synth to be triggered by frequency and not by notes
eg you want something between f and f# and so on
in operator you can do something like it with the fixed frequency for the single operators, but its still fm and not the raw simple bleep tone that you seem to search

this is something thats vital for the magic of the dfam, you dont have notes in the sequence you have a frequency knob for each step, so your never going to hit a note 100%
That way you will do the tuning by ear and it will be coherent but more or less dissonant, which is a main element of bleep techno imo

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

over9000 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:18 pm
the gear lusty answer:
Moog DFAM (or eurorack but thats another topic)
instant bleep madness, i had the same problems as you before i got it

but now i think it comes down alot to pitch and velocity modulation, something which the dfam also does in a excellent way.
I think triangle waves are amazing for bleeps, maybe with a bit of square wave from another osc mixed in.
then play around with the pitch envelope.
to get a nice techno pattern a good delay (echoboy eg) is essential

What i dident find out in the box yet is how to get a synth to be triggered by frequency and not by notes
eg you want something between f and f# and so on
in operator you can do something like it with the fixed frequency for the single operators, but its still fm and not the raw simple bleep tone that you seem to search

this is something thats vital for the magic of the dfam, you dont have notes in the sequence you have a frequency knob for each step, so your never going to hit a note 100%
That way you will do the tuning by ear and it will be coherent but more or less dissonant, which is a main element of bleep techno imo
that latter part is really interesting - you can do that on Zebra (which I have) without going into FM territory.

Subsekt is the gift that keeps on giving :) some seriously great advice in this thread!

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

over9000 wrote:

if you use ableton live, just use max4live to do this.
hook a random~ to the frequency input of a cycle~. Multiply the range of the random to whatever number you want and trigger it.
Basically a s&h in modular. You can also just send the cycle~ numbers which are not note values.
It is very simple.
Also use ringmod/ a ringmod. a sine/triangle into a ringmod(subtle) into a clean reverb gets good results. Keep it simple.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

buffered wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:01 am
over9000 wrote:

hook a random~ to the frequency input of a cycle~. Multiply the range of the random to whatever number you want and trigger it.
Basically a s&h in modular. You can also just send the cycle~ numbers which are not note values.
It is very simple.
Also use ringmod/ a ringmod. a sine/triangle into a ringmod(subtle) into a clean reverb gets good results. Keep it simple.
Ok interesting, but i dont fully understand as i never used max4live, just some preset max devices..
How can you tune the values of different steps to each other when its all triggered by random s&h?

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

I’ve not watched the video throughout but as it says, recreating the dfam in ableton.
Whether this will give the results mentioned above using m4l, I don’t know but thought it might be of interest.
youtu.be/3U54iMbu1M4

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Cool, that sounds like it'd be fun to try out ..

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

orchard wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:45 pm
I’ve not watched the video throughout but as it says, recreating the dfam in ableton.
thanks! nice find! couple of hours wasted in a good way.
was gonna say Operator to the original question as well. it's always been my goto synth, but recently bought FM8 for a tenner, and it's got some serious tricks up its sleeve.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

over9000 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:37 pm
buffered wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:01 am
over9000 wrote:

It is very simple.
Ok interesting, but i dont fully understand as i never used max4live, just some preset max devices..
How can you tune the values of different steps to each other when its all triggered by random s&h?
I'll be honest I don't understand the value of s+h in this particular example. (Do you want random frequencies?)

But regardless, you can do anything in Max. You could very easily tune each step differently. And you can use MIDI note numbers, or just a Hz value

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

borg wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:21 pm
orchard wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:45 pm
thanks! nice find! couple of hours wasted in a good way.
was gonna say Operator to the original question as well. it's always been my goto synth, but recently bought FM8 for a tenner, and it's got some serious tricks up its sleeve.
Oh yeah - bought that a while back, too (didn't have WiFi, so I forgot about that license again, and just downloaded it) what an absolute beast!!