In search of a better snare sound

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amøbe
Moderate
In search of a better snare sound

Post by Amøbe »

Hey everyone :-) how do you guys go about making snare sounds? I tend to always end up in TR-territory, and it's honestly not what I want.

My problem is that it sounds too much like a drum, and not so much like a short burst of noisy energy, but when I try to do one based on noise, it doesn't sound percussive enough. So I'm just trying to expand my vocabulary on how to create percussion that has a snare-like function

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Re: In search of a better snare sound

Post by over9000 »

i rarely use something snare like to be honest.
i think you can use any sound to take the part of a snare in a groove it doesent have to be a snare or sound like one.
claps are also very cliche but i tend to use them more.
Most of the time when i use percussion i dont like when its a single hit with reverb or smth, i mostly experiment with delay or create a pattern with ghost hits.
i think when i have a groove and then you try to have a single hit sound like snare or clap it often sounds odd or out of groove
although i really enjoy well executed "classic" grooves with kick/snare/hihats, but i just cant create something like it so far in my own productions, without it sounding boring

curious what others say about it

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Operator in ableton for me. Simple sine and noise, you can also use a carrier on the sine with some attack to change the tone of the snap. Processing with a vocoder helps with the overall fizz. Then saturate and compress till its good.

Mr Bill has a good vid on Youtube about snares. More edm/dnb but you get a good idea of where you can take it.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Thanks guys - gonna experiment a bit with it :-) I'm just looking for something to be a noisy percussive sound in the area that snares usually take up - I very much want it to not sound like a snare, but just share its qualities