Introducing: Behringer EDGE

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
FvH
crud
Introducing: Behringer EDGE

Post by FvH »

(cant figure out how to copy yt link to get the player here??)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ8t0L8FZrY

Anyway,

It's a copy of Moog's DFAM with USB. 2x cheaper than Moog with starting price of only $219 USD.
So what do you guy's think: is it worth it? I think it will be a great companion with my Neutron and Tanzmaus.

Do you approve the things Behringer is lately doing (making cheaper copy cats of vintage proven gear) or are you a Methuselah type of producer who admits only originals and stays away of soft synths and semi modular stuff no matter what?!

Would like to hear your opinion.
Cheers and have a good day sectarians.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Introducing: Behringer EDGE

Post by Críoch »

Well, the crave is a moog mother 32.. so the dfam was always on the cards..The m32 & crave sound identical from what I can gather.

The dfam sounds great.. but is pricy. Go for it. I've always thought 2 dfams would be sick together. .

One problem I see with all this B stuff is that you're not too exposed to loss or failure if you have one or 2 things from a single manufacturer. As soon as you start putting all your eggs in one basket.. you're fucked if the bottom falls out. I would only buy behringer stuff new with a 3 year warranty from Thomann or similar.

I have a behringer soundcard, a bro1 & a rd6. I have enough. I'm seriously considering, yet simultaneously talking myself out of buying a mono/poly. There's a saturation point where you are too exposed. Its an accumulation of stuff, cost & potiential risk. The m/p is not in the same price range as the smaller synths. A synth too far possibly. We'll see. I love the sound.

Not buying any of this stuff as an investment, but at some point, it's going to be worth far less than normal at 2nd hand prices.. if it still works.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Val Endrada
Jan : )

Post by Val Endrada »

FvH wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:57 pm

Do you approve the things Behringer is lately doing (making cheaper copy cats of vintage proven gear) or are you a Methuselah type of producer who admits only originals and stays away of soft synths and semi modular stuff no matter what?!
Are these my only two options?

The blatant commercial exploitation of other people's inventions and hard work, using every legal loophole they can find - while attempting to red-wash it to look like they're doing it "for the little man", who can't afford originals. I'm not really a fan of this type of business strategy, to be honest.

As far as I know, much of the gear Behringer sells mostly functions OK, but for me that's not really the point. Personally I'd rather support companies who're coming up with original ideas and, if possible, aren't having everything manufactured by slaves in Chinese factories.

The synth in the video sounds like shit btw, but that might just be because whoever made the video doesn't know what he's doing.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Val Endrada wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:50 pm
, if possible, aren't having everything manufactured by slaves in Chinese factories.

Yeah I get that, especially now, but it`s almost impossible.
Most of the chips and boards are made in china,even down to boutique companies and old stalwarts like MOOG, who will have some part of the process chinese, and a lot of chips other companies use are made by behringer. There is a new growing competition in indonesia (which quite frankly is as bad as china for human rights) and south Korea are picking up slack.

It`s almost impossible to buy a synth, or any complex electronic goods without it running through the hands of the CCP
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Meh.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

asm
crud

Post by asm »

Personally I grumble at them ripping off designs and then I realise that I’m actually very happy that I can get essentially the same thing for a fraction of the cost- which is good when this is a hobby and I have a family!

My TD3 is good fun - I grew up on Acid Techno so had always wanted one back in the day. Roland had their chance on this one to make money..

My UMC1820 is great, it’s solid and stable, and I have it connected to a modular via an ES3 & ES6 combo. Again nice and cheap(ish)a

This Edge looks pretty good to me. I don’t think I actually want it enough, but it certainly looks like fun.

I’ve never had much luck with their mixers though…

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

asm wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:02 pm
Personally I grumble at them ripping off designs and then I realise that I’m actually very happy that I can get essentially the same thing for a fraction of the cost- which is good when this is a hobby and I have a family!

My TD3 is good fun - I grew up on Acid Techno so had always wanted one back in the day. Roland had their chance on this one to make money..

My UMC1820 is great, it’s solid and stable, and I have it connected to a modular via an ES3 & ES6 combo. Again nice and cheap(ish)a

This Edge looks pretty good to me. I don’t think I actually want it enough, but it certainly looks like fun.

Exactly this! One day when I'll have 5 grand to spend on original I'll buy them, but for now if the clone sounds 99% like the original I'll buy it and use it. Have some outboard gear and it makes big difference on my workflow.

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

asm wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:02 pm

Exactly this! One day when I'll have 5 grand to spend on original I'll buy them, but for now if the clone sounds 99% like the original I'll buy it and use it. Have some outboard gear and it makes big difference on my workflow.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

well i can see the point in making it cheaper and available for the masses etc.. somehow..
now with this edge synth its the first time i really get pissed off at behringer
I have the original DFAM and its just so cheap to do a 1/1 copy of it.
Iam completely for it, when it comes to unavailable vintage synths.
But with gear still on the market it just enhances the quick buy/sell orgies, because when its cheap as fuck why not just try it?
i dont have much money left for gear, but when i really want something, i save for it
with these cheap clones you can just get a device, and you can even justify not using it in the end because it was cheap..
More choice with gear does not neccesarrily lead to better music imo

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

What’s wrong with gear being available to more people? Nothing.. gear being tried out and traded just makes it available to even more peeps.

And who cares if you use a bit of gear for just one bloop? If it’s a great bloop, than it’s all good.

All sorts of things wrong with the behri model, but that’s just not one of ‘em.

I understand that it is sucks though that you paid top moog dollars and now it’s available for cheap..

Val Endrada
Jan : )

Post by Val Endrada »

speen wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:12 am

And who cares if you use a bit of gear for just one bloop? If it’s a great bloop, than it’s all good.
Cheap mass-produced bullshit no one ever asked for is a major source of industrial pollution, waste of limited resources, exploitation of workers in 3rd world countries, acceleration of the global loss of bio-diversity, human made climate changes etc.

You know all this, right?

I can't stop you from telling yourself that "no one cares", of course, but perhaps it's time to wake up from the consumerist fairytale. All is clearly not as good as you seem to think it is.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

^This

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Tell ya guys.. theres bigger fucking problems in the world right now than maintaining some fanciful ideals about whether or not to buy a Behringer synth.

The world is irreparably fucked 🤣

Enjoy your current standards of living while you can. If the moral high ground makes people feel warm & fuzzy while governments move slower than snails to 'adapt to..' not 'fix' climate change, well then so be it.

Capitalism is slow to change but never fails to spot an opportunity. We'll have fuck all money after buying electric cars (I'll need 2 please) and new heating systems for our houses etc. Food, fuel, rent.. taxes.. we will foot the bill for the privilege.

Not a fan of the consumerist fairytale either.. but its a Web & we are all interlinked in so many ways. Unintentionally & unavoidably. It is far stronger than our individual or collective efforts. Impossible to defeat. Would be like stone age man going up against the US Marines possibly.

We are very good at being distracted from the lack of government leadership by our own small individual actions and 'Good news' environmental stories. Nobody wants to vote green though cos they'd have to pay higher taxes & what would follow. We are all hypocritical in that way. Selfish & afraid of change to our lifestyle.

But life is short.. and free time is precious.

I buy what i need & want with clear conscience.

Regarding climate change, its already game over I'm afraid. Pure damage limitation now. Feel sorry for my kids & everyone else's. Too little has been done for decades & it's far too late to halt the changes that are happening.

I've always been interested in history & often thought that dying is the worst symptom of living.. as we know so much of the past & present, but will cease to know what happens next / in the future in the history of the human race. I used to find that abrupt finality sad. FOMO.

I think its pretty clear now what's gonna happen. There will be a major reset at some point.. quicker in some places, assisted by bad weather, famine, war & disease 🍆. It'll be an ugly last chapter.

There was a massive forest fire in Siberia during the summer , which pumped out the annual carbon emissions of Germany. Its probably still burning. The planet is self harming now, pretty much uncontrollably in many different ways.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... greenpeace

https://www.greenpeace.org/internationa ... s-siberia/

Interestingly.. a regular 'moon wobble' or Lunar Oscillation is occurring atm, which naturally causes freak weather conditions. I read recently that it's begun earlier than previously forecast. Great 😅

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0716/12356 ... te-change/

Buy that behringer synth (if you want to) & put a cat on it. You can eat the cat when there's no food & sell the synth to someone who can still afford electricity 🙃👍

Don't get me wrong, I do my bit & am not happy with exploitation of workers or the environment but this has all happened because the system is wrong at every level..

I don't think anyone should self-flagellate for wanting to buy a synth. I'm learning how to swim.

Apologies for the rant 8-)
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

^^
that escalated quickly! What a reality slap man... Guess I wont buy anything now, start saving money and build an underground shelter with potential to grow food to sustain me and my family.

Also if I build and extension to the shelter like a pig farm we could use electricity from methane by reversing methanogenesis like in Mad Max so in theory I could power my instruments and pc and produce music for myself (like today :lol: :lol: ) because there will be maybe less then 1% of other people with electricity. So I guess my time to be a known producer will be near the end of civilization! Sound! What a way to go :lol: :lol: :lol:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Make it happen!

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Críoch wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:50 pm
I buy what i need & want with clear conscience.
Essentials only from now on, right?!
Keep it lean, keep it green! ..

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I've added pigs to my bucket list.

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

Yea man. There is still hope for stashing hardware. Just imagine the price of the chips and mobos in those devices you could salvage after doomsday.
It's a win-win either way :lol: :lol: :lol:

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

over9000 wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:55 pm
well i can see the point in making it cheaper and available for the masses etc.. somehow..
now with this edge synth its the first time i really get pissed off at behringer
I have the original DFAM and its just so cheap to do a 1/1 copy of it.
Iam completely for it, when it comes to unavailable vintage synths.
But with gear still on the market it just enhances the quick buy/sell orgies, because when its cheap as fuck why not just try it?
i dont have much money left for gear, but when i really want something, i save for it
with these cheap clones you can just get a device, and you can even justify not using it in the end because it was cheap..
More choice with gear does not neccesarrily lead to better music imo
For me all Behringer do is show up the other brands for how they are overpricing their gear and mugging us all off.

I think it's great there is a company like Behringer giving everyone a chance to own some good gear at prices anyone can buy at if they are interested in making music.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

CubiK Mass wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:24 am
For me all Behringer do is show up the other brands for how they are overpricing their gear and mugging us all off.
I think that's a little unfair. Yes, some manufacturers build in a 'premium' to their prices, but nobody has the economies of scale that behringer has.