New studio service - Mix consultation in mastering room

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
New studio service - Mix consultation in mastering room

Post by Lost to the Void »

People keep asking about one to one tutoring online. I`m still considering the best way to do this, but it is in my future plans.

However, I was thinking of offering a mix consultation service.
Something like you load up your project, screen cast it to me, and then I guide you in fixing and correcting the mix.
I can do this from the mastering room, so it means you get to test your music in a calibrated room on full range reference speakers, with a mix guide without ever having to leave home.
This would have to be a paid service as would eat into my studio time. Probably a per hour or per session fee.
But is this something people would want/use?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

orchard
quasi-public
Re: New studio service - Mix consultation in mastering room

Post by orchard »

Fuck yeah!!

Erm, if I ever finish a track :oops:

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Yeah I'd like to try this at some point!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

I have no internet on my studio pc, but if theres a way to do it nevertheless id be up for it

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

Yes.
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Definitely

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

That sounds like a great way to learn from a pro.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yes!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

YES YES YES

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I think that would be very useful!

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Absolutely, I'd be very interested in this.

Your guides that are sticky-ed in the Hole on how to do a basic home master and mix buss compression have been massively helpful to me.

FvH
crud

Post by FvH »

Yes. Would like to buy an hour of your service. Put me on the list please.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Sounds like a really good idea. Now if I only had some time free to do some music

Val Endrada
Jan : )

Post by Val Endrada »

Online consultation with customers seems like a good idea, especially in these pandemic times!

Offering it as a possible addition to your mastering services, for cases where the material sent to you for mastering is in need of remixing before mastering, would also make good sense.

Thinking about it, it occurred to me that one problem, that might worry potential customers, is the question of rights/credits. If you have an (indirect) hand in the creative process, you could potentially choose to claim legal rights as a co-producer/co-author of the track. And, unless something else was formally agreed beforehand, you'd be entitled to the claim.

Please note: I'm not accusing you of planning anything evil or sneaky.

But, in order to avoid potential customers worrying about stuff like this, it might be a good idea to hammer out some legal text about it. As I see it,there are two main ways to do it:

1. You waive co-authorship rights completely, working for a fixed fee only (it looks like this is what you're thinking about doing).

2. You claim a small percentage of the authorship rights - perhaps in exchange for a smaller fee (or no fee at all).

Personally I would be unlikely to use online consulting, but that's mostly to do with me being awkward in real life conversations to the point, where it would most likely just be a painful waste of time for the both of us :geek:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Val Endrada wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:48 pm
Online consultation with customers seems like a good idea, especially in these pandemic times!

Offering it as a possible addition to your mastering services, for cases where the material sent to you for mastering is in need of remixing before mastering, would also make good sense.

Thinking about it, it occurred to me that one problem, that might worry potential customers, is the question of rights/credits. If you have an (indirect) hand in the creative process, you could potentially choose to claim legal rights as a co-producer/co-author of the track. And, unless something else was formally agreed beforehand, you'd be entitled to the claim.

Please note: I'm not accusing you of planning anything evil or sneaky.

But, in order to avoid potential customers worrying about stuff like this, it might be a good idea to hammer out some legal text about it. As I see it,there are two main ways to do it:

1. You waive co-authorship rights completely, working for a fixed fee only (it looks like this is what you're thinking about doing).

2. You claim a small percentage of the authorship rights - perhaps in exchange for a smaller fee (or no fee at all).

Personally I would be unlikely to use online consulting, but that's mostly to do with me being awkward in real life conversations to the point, where it would most likely just be a painful waste of time for the both of us :geek:
That's a little too mainstream music biz for me.
If I give people mix advice via this service i don't expect any credit.
If I mix or master someone's music myself here, that's where I ask for credit.

Punk ethics all the way here. No contracts. Honour system. Build relationships of mutual respect. I will always treat people fairly and with honour, if people don't do the same with me, I simply stop working with them.
Take the path of least resistance.

That's how I have always done gigs too. If I have never played for a promotor before, then that first gig I will require them to sign my standard booking contract, money up front etc, it's all done personally, no agents. If the experience is fun and I like them and we click with our values and they behave honourably, then there are no more contracts and we go forward with mutual respect in the future.
If things don't go honourably, then that's the end of that relationship. I never do multiname megarave lineups or festivals, or any arena type gigs.
Served me well. In 20 years I have only had one bad experience, and have built solid long term friendships on the way.

Punk 4 Life innit
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

algo
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by algo »

Great idea, I might get in touch.
I have a number of tracks that I need to finish and get out of the door. Over 8 years since I last released something.