Phantom Distortion

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
collide
Smore
Phantom Distortion

Post by collide »

Hey guys,

I've read the posts about Phantom Distortion already and there is a nice video from Tom Hades about this but...

youtu.be/U7gi1y6onHk

How do I do this in Logic Pro X?
I can't create a group within a group. How can I eliminate my "carrier" distortion sound (Kick) and only get the affected sound (Ride).

Thanks for your help!

borg
Lifer
Re: Phantom Distortion

Post by borg »

this video is just plain wrong... he cancels the kick BEFORE going into the overdrive, doing just nothing. you don't need the 'group within a group'.
It's been a while since I used logic, but I'd make the kick/ride combo with distortion or whatever, send it to a buss, then take another track with the same kick and fx chain from your earlier combo, and phase invert it. render the master... shouldn't that work?
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

http://subsekt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7167
More info, but do as borg said basically

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

IMO easiest way to do this kind of thing (I think Lag pointed this out somewhere) is to program a super low pure sine wave pattern (for example a 4/4 kick pattern), send it to the channel or bus you want to crunch and then remove it with a highpass afterwards. Takes much less setup and you get more control over the crunch....

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

here is my original post about it from like 2012 or something

because I CAME UP WITH THIS tom hades you fuckin hack!
ozias_leduc wrote:
lovely thanks man, i can post now :)

okay i call this phantom distortion, and it's good for rougher techno

one way to have drums (or anything) interact in an gritty/aggressive way is to bus them together and apply overdrive. eg, bus your kick and your Porc together, then put an overdrive on the bus. the effect isn't completely unlike the sidechain method; the Porc gets eaten by your kick (although in a nastier way)

however, this makes a mess of your kick and isn't always desirable

but we can have a totally clean kick distort your percussion (or whatever) if we additionally have a second bus , and set them up like this:

bus 1 - kick and Porc are fed into it, has overdrive plugin
bus 2 - as above, except that the kick ALONE is fed into it

now we phase invert bus 2 (if using ableton utility plugin , click PHZ-L and PHZ-R) to subtract the distorted kick and voila - we have the kick's devastating effect on the percussion; yet the kick itself has disappeared and can be routed elsewhere!

it's also handy to have a third bus to go between these 2 and the master

there is plenty of room to experiment with this technique also. assigning midi knobs to both distortion plugins with slightly different parameter ranges can lead to interesting results