To Drummachine or not to Drummachine?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Amøbe
Moderate
Re: To Drummachine or not to Drummachine?

Post by Amøbe »

mindstuff wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:34 am
Elektron Rytm is an amazing drum machine. Not a fan of the hats though and typically use sample which you can load onto the Rytm. You can even resample tracks which can be pretty powerful. You can use overbridge to route each track to its own audio channel into your DAW. If you're using samples all around a digitakt is another options.
I really want a rytm! But they are not cheap, and our apartment is falling apart from all the Covid in the walls, so have to spend some money on the bathroom (which then has the side-effect that I also have to spend money on the kitchen... oh well)

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Amøbe wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:04 am
mindstuff wrote:
Elektron Rytm is an amazing drum machine. Not a fan of the hats though and typically use sample which you can load onto the Rytm. You can even resample tracks which can be pretty powerful. You can use overbridge to route each track to its own audio channel into your DAW. If you're using samples all around a digitakt is another options.
I really want a rytm! But they are not cheap, and our apartment is falling apart from all the Covid in the walls, so have to spend some money on the bathroom (which then has the side-effect that I also have to spend money on the kitchen... oh well)
i happen to be a professional covid refurbisher, so i take care of your bathroom, you pay me and i buy a Digitone
classical win win situation

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Oktagon wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:13 am
borg wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:05 am
indeed, fantastic stuff!!! missed the 'my' when reading first. Thanks a bunch! it works great, well documented.
Great to hear, thanks! Let me know if you run into any issues.
Okay! I have haha. For some reason, it doesn't like a lot of the presets from the new Vintage Tonic pack - they just play as silent!

Oktagon
Chernobyl

Post by Oktagon »

ozias_leduc wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:36 am
Oktagon wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:13 am
borg wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:05 am
indeed, fantastic stuff!!! missed the 'my' when reading first. Thanks a bunch! it works great, well documented.
Great to hear, thanks! Let me know if you run into any issues.
Okay! I have haha. For some reason, it doesn't like a lot of the presets from the new Vintage Tonic pack - they just play as silent!
Thanks for flagging! Was a tiny bug with the preset file parser. If you download the latest version that should fix it.

https://maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=5697

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Awesome! That works. Thanks for a killer device!

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

over9000 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:04 am
mindstuff wrote:
i happen to be a professional covid refurbisher, so i take care of your bathroom, you pay me and i buy a Digitone
classical win win situation
Now it is really paying off being active on Subsekt :D

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Always to drum machine whether there is Covid in the walls or not.

Be without
Opposite

Post by Be without »

Get a rytm, download overbridge. You’ll be in heaven.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Just pulled the trigger on a Synthstrom Deluge.
Will be selling my MC707 if anyone is interested.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Trom
Wastedddd

Post by Trom »

Anyone here use a sample pad for production / midi purposes?

I've also been thinking to add a drummachine in my setup for a while. But I already have the Novation Circuit which I use for some drums, or I'll use a vst with beatstep pro, so not sure how much added value I'll get from getting the tr-8s for example.

So lately I've rather considered getting a sample pad instead to help create more interesting drum patterns. I'm not a drummer in anyway though and I have no intentions using it in a live setup, it would purely be a studio tool, so not sure how useful it really is. Just feels like it might help me creating more spontaneous and interesting patterns

mervv
Jan : )

Post by mervv »

I've got a tr-8s. I was trying to decide between the MFB Tanzbaer, the Analog Rytm, and the tr-8s. The thought process of getting a drum machine for me was a bit like this

1. What kind of drum sounds do I typically use and how do I like to process them?
2. Do I want something which will take the lead role on drums in the studio, something that I will primarily use for performance, or both?
3. What do I like and dislike about different drum machines I've used?
4. What kind of support and opportunity for expansion does the machine have?

I ended up choosing the tr-8s because I wanted to mostly use it for performance. I didn't need the Rytm's resampling because I am very comfortable resampling and processing ITB, and I wanted something with a little more in the way of digital bells-and-whistles than the tanzbaer.

I think the updates the tr-8s got over the last year or so have really improved its versatility. The fm sounds are fun and it has a decent range of effects. A lot of people like the triggers and some other I/O stuff, but I don't make use of that so I can't say anything about it. Even without that, I feel its been worth it.

Maybe a use case would help you make a choice:

In the studio, I mostly use it for having fun noodling or getting a basic idea down before multi-tracking whichever channels into the DAW for further manipulation. I find I sometimes still prefer to do everything ITB with samples, and just use a couple drums from the machine. Playing with the parameters of a couple elements in real-time instead of drawing in automation can really change the vibe, and I think the very slight discrepancies in timing and swing between the machine and the computer can do great things for a groove if carefully tuned.

For playing live, I'll prepare a few kits with on-board processing ahead of time so I have a good palette with which to improvise and embellish on the meat of my set. It feels good to use live and is very well-designed as a performance instrument. I love it. It's definitely changed how I play in a good way. For me, its main appeal is as an instrument that you play, instead of an instrument you write tracks with.

All of that, plus the difference price from the Analog Rytm, makes me feel like I made a good choice and got a lot of value out of one machine. Just consider how you want to use it first. If you just want a studio instrument, or want to move away from the DAW, the Rytm is definitely better. If you want something that's *fun* and extremely playable, has decent sound-design tools and effects, and you tend to use lots of roland sounds anyway, the tr-8s is better.