Stop fussing and get shit done.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Stop fussing and get shit done.

Post by Lost to the Void »

I've noticed, though I have had less time to comment over the last few months, a type of thinking creeping into subsekt I consider detrimental to people doing good work.

I'm noticing lots of gear veneration, over complication of things that just require focus on simple basics. And a little too much "you need THIS gear to do it and there is no other way"

To which I say.
You probably have all the gear you need to make amazing professional sounding music.

Stop fussing and just focus. Nail your mixing basics, learn about mix perception and stop worrying. Just get on with it.

In short, it's the engineer, not the gear. No magic buttons will fix shit for you. Experience, time spent, and mix basics.

And here is a nice video by the renown engineer Andrew Schepps that essentially says the same.

youtu.be/_M5aEC3-ACQ
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Divjak
slipper
Re: Stop fussing and get shit done.

Post by Divjak »

I want to be honest with myself about all the gear. I am cheating subsekt with ronnys (rktic) discord for the past few months (mainly I wanted to get away for a bit to hone skills, find new inspiration), and we had a challenge where you could use only fx that come with ableton intro. The only source we could use is 505 hi hat. I made the best mixdown to date and pretty interesting track, because I wasnt focused on slapping one expensive plugin after another, but on making music and experimenting. Gear took a lot of my time and focus away from music. Gear only clutters brain, cpu and creativity. Its not necessary for a good mix in any way. I seriously think that my usage of hi end plugins is linked with low confidence in my skills.
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Divjak wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 am
I want to be honest with myself about all the gear. I am cheating subsekt with ronnys (rktic) discord for the past few months (mainly I wanted to get away for a bit to hone skills, find new inspiration), and we had a challenge where you could use only fx that come with ableton intro. The only source we could use is 505 hi hat. I made the best mixdown to date and pretty interesting track, because I wasnt focused on slapping one expensive plugin after another, but on making music and experimenting. Gear took a lot of my time and focus away from music. Gear only clutters brain, cpu and creativity. Its not necessary for a good mix in any way. I seriously think that my usage of hi end plugins is linked with low confidence in my skills.
I don`t think you are alone in that.

It also comes from impatience, people not wanting to build the skills but find a magic button solution, and also laziness, and partly just a lack of knowledge/understanding.

My drive when it comes to advice is that I want people to be able to create as effectively as their potential allows, in as original a way as their potential allows.. And quite a lot of the time it`s a case of stopping people from getting in their own way.

Production can be frustrating, when you know what you want to achieve, but you just can`t find your way there. It's just something you have to fight through. You have to just reframe "failure". There is no failure, just lessons learned, steps taken up the mountain.

Every single producer that every single person respects (apart from cunts who use ghost producers) has gone through this. It never stops either, you always find finer details to chip away as you get better, but it`s you that is improving in your use of the tools, not the tools improving you.
New Shit

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Who really helped me solve this problem were:
My Kids :lol:
It might not be the best solution for everyone ;)
But with my time being more limited, when i have time i want to get shit done and i do.
I still love subsekt as a great source of inspiration even when its about gear or certain techniques

toob
Unartful

Post by toob »

great thread! i think a certain amount of gear fussing is gonna happen no matter what, and its important to learn what tools you gel with and which you need to sell and move on.

Like I've realized a few processes that I use to make what I think is my best stuff with my sequencer, a Nord Lead, a machinedrum, and a pedal or two. An I like it, it's nice to have confidence/experience in some tools because you can get good results and get a good vibe and enjoy it more. When you keep flip flopping between tools, you waste time reading manuals and making more mistakes than is helpful, and the opportunity cost is the deeper knowledge you could have had by sticking with something and developing more of your own style :)

I thought about getting a valhallaverb plugin on and off for a while, but never did. This week I made what I thought was one of my better reverb effects just using the ableton stock reverb, saturator, and glue compressor (plus another saturator vst I already own). That was a lesson for me to know my stuff rather than buy another toy to learn!

So what piece of hardware will claim to make me better at arranging?? hahah guess I need a ghost producer lol

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I realised very quickly that it wasn't the newest vst or buying that holding me back from being better than Theo Parrish.....

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

jordanneke wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:11 am
I realised very quickly that it wasn't the newest vst or buying that holding me back from being better than Theo Parrish.....
You haven't heard of the Theolizer plugin? It's a plugin you slap on the master bus and makes stuff sound a LOT more like Parrish's 90's stuff. There's some rather clever psychoacoustics and audio voodoo going on in there...
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Barfunkel wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:33 am
jordanneke wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:11 am
You haven't heard of the Theolizer plugin? It's a plugin you slap on the master bus and makes stuff sound a LOT more like Parrish's 90's stuff. There's some rather clever psychoacoustics and audio voodoo going on in there...
:D :D :D

I actually had my credit card ready.

Trom
Wastedddd

Post by Trom »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:00 pm
It also comes from impatience, people not wanting to build the skills but find a magic button solution, and also laziness, and partly just a lack of knowledge/understanding.
I'm currently going through my first proper dry spell after picking up production 4-5 years ago, and I've hardly made a sound or beat since March. The obvious main reason is the covid sits and how it intensified some of my other main interests like economic understanding and plant growing/smoking :geek:

However as I've let it all sink in I also think one of the reasons was a built up frustration with some of the things mentioned above. For too long I've been chasing sounds and beats, looking for new quick ways or tools to solve my problems and keep churning out tracks without taking the time learn the tools properly or get a deeper understanding of the basics. Which eventually will only get you so far, and with little to fall back on when theres no new obvious easy path to explore.

Lately I'm finally feeling the urge to return and I"ll need to resist the temptation to fall into the same trap. Its the same old tale, put in some more effort to learn things now and be rewarded down the road. Easier said than done but this thread offers some good inspo!

henry1
Chernobyl

Post by henry1 »

Trom wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:54 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
I'm currently going through my first proper dry spell after picking up production 4-5 years ago, and I've hardly made a sound or beat since March. The obvious main reason is the covid sits and how it intensified some of my other main interests like economic understanding and plant growing/smoking :geek:

However as I've let it all sink in I also think one of the reasons was a built up frustration with some of the things mentioned above. For too long I've been chasing sounds and beats, looking for new quick ways or tools to solve my problems and keep churning out tracks without taking the time learn the tools properly or get a deeper understanding of the basics. Which eventually will only get you so far, and with little to fall back on when theres no new obvious easy path to explore.

Lately I'm finally feeling the urge to return and I"ll need to resist the temptation to fall into the same trap. Its the same old tale, put in some more effort to learn things now and be rewarded down the road. Easier said than done but this thread offers some good inspo!
Find a remix project, its really really great fun.
Working with someone else's stems, its really challenging technically, creatively and philosophically.
Do you do your own version or deviate from the label's genre or tailor it for specific audiences or just make it banging?
The decisions that come into play throughout the process is the whole fun in doing it.
You also make new friends in the process and at times generate a rewarding result.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Trom wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:54 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

I go through frightening dry spells from time to time.
I generally don`t sit down and make music if I have no music in my head.
I usually use this time to sample stuff, build up my field recordings, get out drills and lawnmowers and shit. Or learn new kit.
Also doing something completely different helps, I develop new projects based around different ways of working, or under restricted conditions.

Sometimes you just have to know when to walk away to prevent yourself from making a load of empty crap too.
New Shit

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Can someone please recommend me a good plugin that helps focusing on mixing basics? I mean that one pros are using? And for sure we should then debate if that plugin is used as insert, or better in my channels fx chain? And does it do a great job before or after eq? What about compression (multiband!)?
:geek:

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

I've been going through a dry spell myself for the last few months. Mainly due to the stress of the lock down and working from home etc but I feel like I'm getting the itch again. Ive also been contemplating whether or not I want to release music anymore or at least for a set time. That's not to say I won't carry on producing though, I definitely will do that. Just feel content with what I've done so far. I see this as a positive.

Saying all this I would be surprised if I go against what I have typed above and roll out some new stuff. :lol:

But to those who maybe fussing about putting music out there, i saw this quote today.

"Taking a chance on something that you don't think is perfect, is a chance worth taking"

When its out there the people who listen to it will decide how good it is. Its out of your hands then.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

toob
Unartful

Post by toob »

Totally feel the dry spell as well, covid has made staying inside and tinkering way less appealing... just wanna get out, get the drunk at the bar with some friends and THEN come home and produce...

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Definitely laziness for me is the biggest thing. Both in terms of putting in the effort to turn a basic idea into a full track and in learning the tools & techniques properly. But to qualify that (and make myself feel better about being lazy), I normally only get a chance to start working on things at 8 or 9pm each night after getting up at 4.30am for work (plus an hour of driving every day to get to work and back) - so normally I'm already lacking physical energy when I start working on music, which translates into a lack of energy in the music almost every time. It frustrates me that the physical tiredness results in a reduced ability to work on stuff that is inherently not physically demanding (ie sitting on the couch, tapping on a laptop shouldn't be a difficult task - but I guess it's the mental fatigue that plays a part in it all too)

I never expect to write a full track on any one night, but the problem is that my brain likes a quick dopamine hit most nights, and digging out an old track to keep working on it doesn't provide the same hit as starting something 'new & exciting'.

So basically I'm a lazy, dopamine addict.

Also agree with knowing when to walk away before you end up with a bunch of empty stuff that also didn't even really contribute to you learning anything new or useful. But also there is nothing wrong with just messing around if it adds value down the track

Edit: Sorry for hijacking the thread, I know I've gone off topic a bit there...

Trom
Wastedddd

Post by Trom »

Never wish any misery on someone else here ofc, but also somewhat relieving to see I'm not the only one who took a hit to the music making motivation these last months. And appreciate the tips to get some inspiration back! I've been very conscious of not trying to push anything or put any pressure on myself to do this or that, always felt that to some extent I just need to let the thing unwind unforced to make room for a natural desire to return.

Which seemingly worked quite well as I've finally spent some time in the studio again this week, and its been great! Like Kromasome I still need to find a way to overcome my laziness and actually learn some tools and techniques properly, it feels like both a natural and needed next step if I'm gonna improve my productions. But one thing at a time and tbh I'm just really looking forward to fuck around again in the studio this weekend!

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

There's a big difference in fatigue and laziness. 4:30am start and it sounds like a long day. To get 8hrs sleep would mean bed at 8:30! I've been in a similar situation where it's a bitch to get the time and then when I did, I find I was getting pissed off if it wasn't productive. In the end, I decided to just enjoy it and not set unrealistic expectations ..

toob
Unartful

Post by toob »

subvers^v wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:22 am
I find I was getting pissed off if it wasn't productive. In the end, I decided to just enjoy it and not set unrealistic expectations ..
I think what you're saying here is key. If you enjoy it with less expectation, you will spend more time in the studio... because when you angrily walk away with shit to show for your work every time you create a negative association with it. You turn yourself into a tortured artist haha. When you can, as a yoga teacher would say (sorry!) be kind to yourself and enjoy the tinkering more, and the result less, you will more happily go to work. Having a positive vibe with it makes it easier to put in the time needed to solidify your techniques and develop your process

But yes, always hard to find the time in the day to be consistent when you wanna veg after work!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You have to try not to beat yourself up about it too.
I've been through the "THIS IS ALL SHIT, YOU HAVE NO TALENT AND YOU'LL NEVER MAKE MUSIC AGAIN" thing...
Many times.
Walking away is fine. It took me a long time to really resolve and accept this.

Sometimes I get asked to do a release and if I am not feeling it, I'll just say so and take a pass.
There's no point making stuff without inspiration, let alone releasing it.

However, it's finding that line. Over fussing can get you stuck in a loop where you totally lose any objectivity to the quality of your work.
You can end up chasing this ideal of perfection, and become blind to the fact that what you are chasing isn't perfection at all, it's just an unrealistic perception of where you are at, objectively.
And once you get there, you risk becoming that guy who's totally disconnected, totally out of the loop, but still "one day I'll get to that perfect tune/mix".
I've seen a few mates basically vanish into obscurity because of that. Real talent eating itself into oblivion.

Understanding and learning from your weaknesses and constantly striving for improvement = good

Unrealistic perceptions, punishing brick wall self critique = bad.

This is my pep talk to everyone basically.

A great tune, roughly produced, will beat a generic piece of meh music produced to a legendary standard any day of the week.

Get the music good first and foremost.

Put your heart in your music, let it represent you, be real and get it done.
New Shit

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:13 pm

A great tune, roughly produced, will beat a generic piece of meh music produced to a legendary standard any day of the week.

I couldn't agree more but wish I had worked this out a long time ago...