Pedals or fx boxes you are into or wanna get?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
buffered
Freestyler
Re: Pedals or fx boxes you are into or wanna get?

Post by buffered »

bought a way huge swollen pickle some time ago. Really great fuzz pedal with alot of range. Very nice on percussive synth or drone parts. Recently opened it up to adjust the 2 internal potentiometers and it opened it up even more. really liking it.
Also can recommend the neunaber immerse 2. Has a great natural sound to it that lets you sit it over a synth part to give a very transparent spatial effect.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I`m toying with getting the Erica Zen Delay or Fusion box at the moment
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

I think Eventide H9 is my recent yet unfulfilled GAS

Shylock
non reader

Post by Shylock »

Im gunna get the little Elektron distortion box (not analog heat, the smaller stomp box) and I badly want a MuTron Bi-Phase, And maybe a Moog MF-101 lowpass filter with envelope

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I recently got a desmodus versio reverb from Noise Engineering, it sounds excellent. At the same time I also got a Viol Ruina which is a filter and analog distortion module. Can recommend both, but the Desmodus Versio is beautiful.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Shylock wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:09 am
And maybe a Moog MF-101 lowpass filter with envelope
I used to own one, excellent filter. Sadly, now that they're discontinued, they cost double the original RRP though.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Shylock
non reader

Post by Shylock »

Barfunkel; the price they go for is stupid, Also the other filter that I had a long time ago was the Akai MF142 is also around £400 now!!! Ridiculous..

I want a creamy lowpass filter with an envelope and lfo.. It matters not to me what the name on the box says. You know of any cheapy ones?

If you have ever used the free VST: Tal Filter.. Thats what I want in a little stmp box, would be awesome!

Boiled Egg
Alf Garnett

Post by Boiled Egg »

I've been looking at buying some distortion pedals but can't seem to get to the point of buying. There are so many to choose from and demos online are usually with guitars rather than synths or drum machines.

How do you go about buying them? Do you stick to the ones you can test in a shop (not so easy at the moment), those with a good reputations or just roll the dice and take a chance on something? Thomann alone has something like 600 of them.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

Boiled Egg wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:48 pm
I've been looking at buying some distortion pedals but can't seem to get to the point of buying. There are so many to choose from and demos online are usually with guitars rather than synths or drum machines.

How do you go about buying them? Do you stick to the ones you can test in a shop (not so easy at the moment), those with a good reputations or just roll the dice and take a chance on something? Thomann alone has something like 600 of them.
bought a few. learnt how they worked with the gear that i have and then realised that fuzz pedals are the key.

Boiled Egg
Alf Garnett

Post by Boiled Egg »

buffered wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 am
Boiled Egg wrote:

bought a few. learnt how they worked with the gear that i have and then realised that fuzz pedals are the key.
It's funny you say that because I always thought you should be staying away from fuzz, for drums at least - not sure where I got that from :? . However, I seemed to be quickly changing my opinion on that since listening to these pedals from Animal Factory Amplification. I only looked into these because I thought the Godeater pedal looked absolutely beautiful when browsing one of the shops online.

This video is really interesting as he demos his pedals but also talks about what's actually going on and how he made them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_wXkHEPPE&t=1513s

Shylock
non reader

Post by Shylock »

Boiled Egg wrote:

I dont live anywhere near a music shop or keyboard centre whatever, They dont really exist much anymore anyways? Turnkey in london closed down etc..

So my philosophy with buying gear to try gear out is to find something which is like an well known unit, IE for a distortion pedal.. I might buy a RAT, Because you know you can sell it is you don't like it and it will still have the same value as when you yourself bought it second hand at the going rate.

You just make sure you dont buy something thats difficult to get rid of unless you are absolutely sure you need it, Then just buy it new maybe.

Elektron do a cool little distortion pedal btw, Its like a very scaled down analog heat

Shylock
non reader

Post by Shylock »

Shylock wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:51 pm
Boiled Egg wrote:

I dont live anywhere near a music shop or keyboard centre whatever, They dont really exist much anymore anyways? Turnkey in london closed down etc..

So my philosophy with buying gear to try gear out is to find something which is like an well known unit, IE for a distortion pedal.. I might buy a RAT, Because you know you can sell it on again if you dont like it.

Elektron do a cool little distortion pedal btw, Its like a very scaled down analog heat

Shylock
non reader

Post by Shylock »

Barfunkel wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 am
Shylock wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:09 am
And maybe a Moog MF-101 lowpass filter with envelope
I used to own one, excellent filter. Sadly, now that they're discontinued, they cost double the original RRP though.
Dreadbox epsilon may be a substitute, but its not the same creamy sound :/

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

buffered wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 am
Boiled Egg wrote:

Yeah man, Fuzz has more variety than distortion. Essentially there are only 3 types of distortion.
I`ve built a few different fuzz units now, you can get so wild with them.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

So after much testing and researching and reading, I have ordered the Devin Townsend Mooer Collab pedal: Ocean Machine.
Seems like an utterly amazing unit, it arrives tomorrow and I will be testing it heavily on new material, but it fills a need I have of a pedal unit that basically is almost an instrument in itself.
New Shit

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

I nearly bought an ocean machine earlier this year but there seem to be a lot of users have had them crap out for no apparent reason so that put me off a bit.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:27 am
I nearly bought an ocean machine earlier this year but there seem to be a lot of users have had them crap out for no apparent reason so that put me off a bit.
I wouldn`t say a lot, and I wouldn`t say for no reason, unless you go to gearslutz anyway.
All the metal and pedal forums I go to, consensus seems to be, solid as shit, tour worthy kit that is fussy over it`s power.
It`s a big ass pedal but runs on standard 9v pedal power, but it needs good 9v power
It seems you need good quality power, 2amp or higher constant output. So cheap pedal PSU`s or even worse, cheap daisy chain pedal PSU`s might cause an issue.
With a dedicated pedal board grade PSU or one with a good rating, it seems things are fine.
To deal with that potential problem I just ordered a Mooer PSU which has the correct specs for this unit.... They don`t come with a PSU out of the box.

My Ocean Machine arrived today, I may give it a test later, but in terms of build it is tank like, definitely designed for gigging. You won't find find pots as solid as this thing on your average synth. Once I`m done in the mastering room I`ll check my pedalboard PSU rating, if it`s decent enough I`ll play with the unit tonight, otherwise I`ll have to wait for the Mooer PSU to arrive tomorrow.

What really interests me about this pedal, is that you can change the fx order/routing, whilst running, with zero latency and the tails remain.
So you can set up really deep textures by using the delays like samplers, capturing sound at the end of the chain, and then moving that delay to somewhere else in the chain, where it will still contain the information it captured, and carry on seamlessly, and you can keep rotating fx around, constantly building textures through an evolving chain. It`s pretty crazy.
New Shit

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:45 pm
Ben Kohonays wrote:
I wouldn`t say a lot, and I wouldn`t say for no reason, unless you go to gearslutz anyway.
All the metal and pedal forums I go to, consensus seems to be, solid as shit, tour worthy kit that is fussy over it`s power.
It`s a big ass pedal but runs on standard 9v pedal power, but it needs good 9v power
It seems you need good quality power, 2amp or higher constant output. So cheap pedal PSU`s or even worse, cheap daisy chain pedal PSU`s might cause an issue.
With a dedicated pedal board grade PSU or one with a good rating, it seems things are fine.
To deal with that potential problem I just ordered a Mooer PSU which has the correct specs for this unit.... They don`t come with a PSU out of the box.
It was mostly guitar forums I'd read about the problems on, but I hadn't come across that info about the PSU. Sounds like that could be the cause.
Lost to the Void wrote:
What really interests me about this pedal, is that you can change the fx order/routing, whilst running, with zero latency and the tails remain.
So you can set up really deep textures by using the delays like samplers, capturing sound at the end of the chain, and then moving that delay to somewhere else in the chain, where it will still contain the information it captured, and carry on seamlessly, and you can keep rotating fx around, constantly building textures through an evolving chain. It`s pretty crazy.
Yeah it seems a very interesting capable pedal. The bits of audio I've heard seem decent quality too.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:32 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Ben Kohonays wrote:
It was mostly guitar forums I'd read about the problems on, but I hadn't come across that info about the PSU. Sounds like that could be the cause.
Lost to the Void wrote:
Yeah it seems a very interesting capable pedal. The bits of audio I've heard seem decent quality too.
I actually found my pedalboard PSU had more than enough output available, and plugged in the box last night and had a fiddle. Hour and a half later I emerged from the black hole this thing threw me down.
Such a lot of fun for a single device. I`ll post a little vid up later today when I have another jam.
I just had my Soma Ether plugged in to the Ocean machine, and generated an amazing evolving soundscape that basically just needed a kick drum and a hi hat and it would have been done.
Solid bit of kit, seems like a keeper based on that alone. Didn`t even incorporate the looper into the circuit, will do that later, wanna try syncing it all to midi.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

PSU arrived today.
Nice high output, and not a wall wart.

IMG_20201030_175500.jpg
IMG_20201030_175500.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
New Shit