[Production] Share One Idea From Today.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
nomadjames
mummy!!
Re: [Production] Share One Idea From Today.

Post by nomadjames »

I just chucked the first classic dub song in my library ( A Rougher Version, Aggrovators) into Serato Sample and had a tune laid in half an hour. Kept copying the channel and changing the effects and just kept layering the same source material up. If you've never tried Serato Sample, it's so much fun and has a free 30 day demo.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

nomadjames wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:29 pm
I just chucked the first classic dub song in my library ( A Rougher Version, Aggrovators) into Serato Sample and had a tune laid in half an hour. Kept copying the channel and changing the effects and just kept layering the same source material up. If you've never tried Serato Sample, it's so much fun and has a free 30 day demo.
Sounds interesting. Can you recommend any demo/tutorial videos of it doing that or similar?
Cheers

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Orchard,

I've never seen it used that way. Usually it's just simple hip hop slice action on the tutorials. I should make one. Like I described it though just try it, worked really well with dub and fun as hell.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

nomadjames wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:47 pm
Orchard,

I've never seen it used that way. Usually it's just simple hip hop slice action on the tutorials. I should make one. Like I described it though just try it, worked really well with dub and fun as hell.
Cool. Would love to see a video if you did make one. Maybe post the track up that you did?!
Will try to download the trial this weekend if I get a minute.
Cheers.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Forgot about the ARP in FM8.

Then got curious. Realised / remembered that it has a sequencer. It's pretty cool.. lots of random features & editablity. Odd sequence length too.

Totally forgot all about it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

kronk wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:00 pm
Ben Kohonays wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:40 am
..Sell shit you're not using. :shock: ...
this is the single most productive thing that ive found to do.
minimise the setup - makes you more focused & deeper into the gear
Only 4 pieces of gear I promise.

I've got 2 for today:

I found just the other day but kind of remember doing something similar with a 303 accent...but if you can automate a synth filter with your sequencer (maybe via CV, CC or velocity in my case) set all but a few notes of your sequence to 0 velocity. This will then only play a few notes of your sequence when your filter is completely closed so make the best of it. Then as you start opening the filter you'll get this second rhythm joining the first from the 0 velocity notes. Mix that with polymeter and short sequence could carry and entire tune.

Use a Square LFO to modulate your VCO say every other bar or every other 2 bars to change the pitch of your sequence (+5, +7, +12, or whatever) without needing to write the sequence yourself. This gets more mileage out of a short sequence.

victer
Pig

Post by victer »

More of a happy accident in my case but here it is : using wavetable filters set to serial, one hi pass, one low pass, both with fairly high resonance modulated by envelopes and lfos, pretty basic so far. At some point I set the filters frequency to a spot where they would "merge" into a band pass filter on one specific step of the sequence, the two resonance combined created some extra harmonics almost like an octaver effect.

Also I had a limiter on the channel beforehand, I imagine that it can create some nasty peaks otherwise.
facebook.com/bepulsed

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Need to get more into Wavetable. Had a wee mess about with it today.. tried to see how crazy I could make it sound. The mods are great. Only ever made pads with it before. Its pretty sweet.

Today:

Boring bassline & drumbeat. No hooks. Couldnt think of anything :lol:

Put a delay on the master.. 100% wet. Pitch mode. Hitting freeze on/off. Twisting the MS delay times. Recording it all. Found some cool stuff in the sampler. Was able to slice it to 1/2 notes & had a bit of a mess about. Pulled out a few bits & processed further. Got FX sounds from it too.

Really into Phasers atm. Using the rate to tune in a filtered / hollow sound.. no LFO modulation. Can sound pretty cool on a shitty, static sample. Chord, stab, bass etc..
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

sit through a voidloss production session...

it's surprising that I don't have to go back to check up on things, it all just makes sense, is explained clearly,... maybe it's also the years already put in, but I can just dive in and get somewhere pretty fast. Today I started my first d'n'b track ever, and in 2 hours I had something nice happening, with daft sounds when soloed, but making sense in the mix, few elements (amen, sampled yt vox, wavetable strings, operator bass). Had a blast, and am quite happy with the result so far.

if only I had access to this knowledge 25 years ago...
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Using noise layers of all kind. White Noise, fieldrecorded air conditioning or anything that creates interesting layers. Then bus some drums together to your likes and add the layer channel in the group. Only this can create interesteing interefence already, even more when you use compression, distorion or anything else on the bus that will lead to more glue and intereference between the drums and your layer. It's in that ghost noise distorion (forgot how it's calles correctly) direction, nice to find great textures, rhythmic stuff or so.
:geek:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Noise. Yes, I keep forgetting. Really should be doing that more..

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I'm getting into discogs digging for sampling.

eg, finding an album that you like, then searching by the drummer or audio engineer, then seeing what else they worked on. I've pretty much found nearly every house and hip hop sample ever used (apart from J Dilla).

Zero_Idea
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Zero_Idea »

Tried out this technique to make an interesting atmosphere through experimenting the last few days:

1. Arp or Sequence through delay with high feedback (Valhalla Supermassive)
2. In the same instrument rack, add atonal samples, I used the tail of hat, and a filtered noise sample loop in slice mode.
3. LFOs on whatever parameters you choose, as well as LFOs on the volumes of each chain.

It adds some extra texture to the pad/drone/atmosphere! And I'm sure you could go as crazy with it as you'd like

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

That's cool man. Will try some of that.

Something I did to spice up a pad /drone thing was record a lonnng pass of a drone I made. Rendered to audio. Then, in the audio clip.. recorded another take of the rendered pad, while making mad & subtle / random & semi rhythmic movements of the sample pitch dial.

Was a cool result. Nice to chop / drag into a sampler. Some cool stuff. Interesting bits where the original sound played for bit & there was a bit of thoughtless pitch cranking towards the end. Don't know how you'd program it otherwise. It's probably a glitch / IDM approach. Would probably be cool on drums & vocals .. if that was your thing.

Zero_Idea
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Zero_Idea »

Awesome man, thanks for the tip as well. For whatever reason going way too into detail for the atmospher tends to be a pretty fun process even if by the end it's end's up as the lowest element in the track :lol:

I'd imagine you could throw the sample chops right back into some delay/reverb and smear it all together again too.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Unexpected FSU feature find today.

Stilwell Oligarc Phaser. Free.

I dont really understand it.. but its got 3 tuneable feedback amounts in it (I think. Tunable poles maybe? ). If you play a short sound to get it going, then twist some knobs you can make all sorts of mental fucking sounds. Record & put into a simpler / sampler for further sound design. Really nice.

I think different sound sources affect it differently. Initially getting it feedbacking. Its cool to use a short sound, then deactivate the actual sound clip, or instrument.. leaving the effect after it ON.. and feedbacking. If that makes sense. You could play a single 16th note in a 64bar clip & it'll continue to flow as long as you have the feedback knob up full blast.

Yd probably want a limiter on it. Gets loud.

Makes fuzzy, ring mod, pwm fizzy bassy & metallic stuff. Slow changes are potentially tuneable. Random & movements for more experimental mmmmaterial.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Aggressively feeding your delay send into the reverb send and vice versa. Might seem obvious but it’s gotten me a lot closer to those massive reverb spaces on early DeepChord records, for example.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Also I’ve been just making a lot of sounds lately and then making tracks by pulling from that „library“, further processing and dubbing those sounds. It’s a pretty new approach for me but ultimately that’s how all those BC and EchoSpace records I love were made. Also, I find that you get to a nice, warm sound ITB much quicker if stuff has already sounds nice and smooth when you drag it in. If I start with raw sounds ITB it takes A LOT of subtle processing to get in the vicinity of what I want. Tracks come together much quicker if stuff is already in the ballpark.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Críoch wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:16 pm
Unexpected FSU feature find today.

Stilwell Oligarc Phaser. Free.

I dont really understand it.. but its got 3 tuneable feedback amounts in it (I think. Tunable poles maybe? ). If you play a short sound to get it going, then twist some knobs you can make all sorts of mental fucking sounds. Record & put into a simpler / sampler for further sound design. Really nice.

I think different sound sources affect it differently. Initially getting it feedbacking. Its cool to use a short sound, then deactivate the actual sound clip, or instrument.. leaving the effect after it ON.. and feedbacking. If that makes sense. You could play a single 16th note in a 64bar clip & it'll continue to flow as long as you have the feedback knob up full blast.

Yd probably want a limiter on it. Gets loud.

Makes fuzzy, ring mod, pwm fizzy bassy & metallic stuff. Slow changes are potentially tuneable. Random & movements for more experimental mmmmaterial.
Where is this free? I only see it as part of the Oligarc suite pack, which costs money. I could use a decent phaser...
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Afaik.. they are free 100% limitation free (apart from a countdown screen) to trial. Maybe that's changed.