Reference Tracks......

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
nervejammer
quasi-public
Reference Tracks......

Post by nervejammer »

Ok meat bags here is a question - what reference tracks do folks use on mixdown or mastering?

I usually use Tex Rex tracks on mixdown on real sub heavy tracks coz he pretty much hits it bang on.
For mastering i like using Mike Humphries stuff - he has a good loud balance without smashing it to bits.

If anyone isnt using reference tracks then look into it - it will bring your mix's/ masters on a lot.

Wiu
Slowy J
Re: Reference Tracks......

Post by Wiu »

I know I probably should, but I don't do this.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

I use a variety of tracks that are close to the style I'm trying to create in. I would choose producers I admire in terms of production quality.
My room is compromised, so I'm not referencing parts and individual sounds, just referencing the overall EQ and the level of bass drums, hats etc.

sam
Cold

Post by sam »

I should reference more too. I've used the Marcel Dettmann mix of My Black Sheep as a reference but probably for the wrong reasons. It's such a cool track with a thick dirty vibe and very dense in all the right places, but I've never actually made anything remotely like it.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Hm, making one track sound like another one is a tricky route which may lead to a lot of frustration unless the stuff you produce deals with similar elements. And that's already a somewhat limiting approach towards creativity, isn't it?

Once you're using a rather clean and kicking reference track and your own one deals i.e. with a distorted lead there's a good chance you won't get even close since the mix balance is completely different.

That's why i have choosen to not use a track as reference anymore back in the day and go for a good metering setup instead. That consists of

a) a frequency analyzer
b) the k-12 rms loudness scale
c) my ears

sam
Cold

Post by sam »

rktic wrote: a) a frequency analyzer
c) my ears
Nice advices :-)

What RMS do you aim for on the K12 scale Ronny?

--

I still eyeball a lot of music with an iTunes visualizer that I've become accustomed to over the years just out of habit mainly.

While there isn't any single ideal spectral balance, in the early days it taught me a lot about how unbalanced my own mixes were.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Wiu wrote:I know I probably should, but I don't do this.
I don't do this either, I have done in the past but I like to let my tunes take there own path and use my ears like a artist would use their brush :P

sometimes things work sometimes not lol
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

rktic wrote:Hm, making one track sound like another one is a tricky route which may lead to a lot of frustration unless the stuff you produce deals with similar elements. And that's already a somewhat limiting approach towards creativity, isn't it?

Once you're using a rather clean and kicking reference track and your own one deals i.e. with a distorted lead there's a good chance you won't get even close since the mix balance is completely different.

That's why i have choosen to not use a track as reference anymore back in the day and go for a good metering setup instead. That consists of

a) a frequency analyzer
c) my ears
Word.

However I would say its good in the start-up to have some good reference tracks. The more experience you gain the less reference you need.

Hey Nerve Jammer dont use Mike Humphries as your mastering reference, at-least not if its his Mastertraxx releases. His tracks are also delivered kinda smashed to mastering for other labels as well.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

sam wrote:
rktic wrote: a) a frequency analyzer
c) my ears
Nice advices :-)

What RMS do you aim for on the K12 scale Ronny?
I need to correct myself, i'm using the K-14 scale (according to the TT DR meter) and aim for an average dynamic range of -9db at an absolute headroom of -0.5db (that one's important - never ever mix to straight 0db!).

nervejammer
quasi-public

Post by nervejammer »

Hm, making one track sound like another one is a tricky route which may lead to a lot of frustration unless the stuff you produce deals with similar elements. And that's already a somewhat limiting approach towards creativity, isn't it?
Sorry folks - should have explained myself better.
By using a reference track you should be using it as a guide for balance and loudness along with an analyser - obviously the ref track should be in a similar genre.

nervejammer
quasi-public

Post by nervejammer »

Hey Nerve Jammer dont use Mike Humphries as your mastering reference, at-least not if its his Mastertraxx releases. His tracks are also delivered kinda smashed to mastering for other labels as well.
Mattias - yea noticed that with some of his releases - I have an older one that has a good sound but still loud enough :)

chrisso
pregnant

Post by chrisso »

Mattias wrote: However I would say its good in the start-up to have some good reference tracks. The more experience you gain the less reference you need.

I agree.
Of course I still use my ears, but as I don't DJ, I periodically need to check my bass drum isn't overbearing with low rumble, and my hi-hats aren't shredding people's ears. It's just a great ear refresher to stick on a production I admire and check out the balance and overall EQ (just for reference).