How to glue a reverb send with your main mix?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Plyphon
endless
How to glue a reverb send with your main mix?

Post by Plyphon »

So I'm trying to figure out what I should do here really. I'm not sure if this is a technical/engineering challenge or an artistic one.

I've got a reverb on a send channel, but it outputs to master missing all of the glue the drum bus goes through and the subtle saturation I put over the mix.

In ableton I can route the send back in through a new track but it never really sounds right for some reason.. sounds unnatural. There is also a fair bit of signal delay introduced which I can't seem to get rid of. So sends only really seem fit to be send straight to master.

If I use the reverb at the track level inside the drum rack it sounds alright, but then you miss out on the ability to EQ before the reverb, and it's harder to manage.

So I guess the question is, whats the best solution to have your reverb glue into your mix with whatever other processing you use? A send with some channel routing or just on individual inserts on tracks?

Cheers

Plyphon
endless
Re: How to glue a reverb send with your main mix?

Post by Plyphon »

Alright I've just figured out how to get rid of the delay on the send reutrn track solution - you have to disable the send on the return track, the group track and the rack group tracks otherwise Ableton classifies it as a 'Feedback loop' so it disables delay compensation.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Yeah was going to say that about the delay compensation
If you can resample it and put it in a group as a normal channel it should be fine

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I barely ever use sends.
Sounds to me like you are over complicating things.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

You just use inserts? That seems like the most straight forward way tbh.

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Why not just put some light compression on your master buss?

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

so tbh ive kind of done a complete 180 and just stuck everything back on as inserts... that way everything gets the same compression/sat/groove and it feels good. what I was missing was a bit of extra compression on the drums to get the reverb to glue how i wanted. Thanks all

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Same here on inserts. I use sends occasionally for blending in and out different fx chains though.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

One sure-fire way is to mixdown on hardware and send to either hardware fx or a 0-latency plugin host machine, like a dedicated machine on Thunderbolt interface that just hosts plugins and receives automation from the main DAW when needed.

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

One way I could think of is to create a chain on the group and duplicate it, have you reverb on the 2nd chain, you can then put your eq before the 2nd chain and have your comp, sat and distortion after the 2 chains, blend to taste.
WHERE WORDS FAIL MUSIC SPEAKS

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

If you use your reverb as an insert you don't lose the ability to eq beforehand if you want to. Rack the reverb, make a chain for dry and another with the reverb on it. Now you can process the reverb seperately within the the rack or you can process them both together, or not at all.

I find reverb sits a lot better if I filter what goes into it first.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Thats a good idea regarding duplicating it so you can see EQ the verb. I might try that tonight, cheers!