Time to buy hardware

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Masari
sad bastard
Time to buy hardware

Post by Masari »

Am gonna start buying some pieces of hardware soon and as you guys know, when u don't own any, it's really easy to feel overwhelmed by all the different possibilites. To be honest, i already have a clear idea of what i want :
- A drum box : waiting for the RD909 as i can not decide between all the rest : Already had a Jomox but only liked kick and snare, and new ones are a bit pricey.
- A synth : Hello Behringer again, will decide between Neutron And Model D
- An hybrid to design drones like the moog DFAM (if you guys know some alternartive to DFAM, feel free to suggest), or some Dreadbox machines
- A console to record : probably a soundcraft.
- A reverb and a delay pedals as i already own a dark matter distortion and a mooger fooger, but this will come later.

My question is : If you would start buying hardware today, with 300-600euros budget, what would you buy and why ?

timc3
Back Bling
Re: Time to buy hardware

Post by timc3 »

Well I guess I would hit the second hand market to make the money go further.

I still really enjoy my BassStation 2. I have a Neutron as well, but I think the BassStation is a bit more of an allrounder. Then whatever drum machine I could pick up for what is left.

SpecificObjects
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by SpecificObjects »

As an owner of the Korg Minilogue I'd probably buy the Minilogue XD right now. The first one was a good alround synth for beginners, easy to learn with a lot of possibilites in the menues. The successor adds (custom) wavetables and some other neat features to step away from the classic subtractive synth sound that can get a bit boring after time. So I'd say that's a good started even though it's on the more expensive side.

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

Thx for the answers guys !
I was planning buying something for drums first, but i can not decide and really wanna wait for the RD 909.
So i really look into dfam direction at moment. THAT sound.

EDIT : Drumbrute impact seems not bad for the price

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Masari wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:14 pm
EDIT : Drumbrute impact seems not bad for the price
I just got one recently. Very straightforward to use. Colour adds a bit of saturation but the distortion didn't impress me. I've read people raving on about the FM part being great, but it seems a bit limited to me - maybe they got my expectations too high.
Seperate outputs, polymeter, the price....you can't really go wrong. Unless it turns up faulty lol.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Sorglos
Pig

Post by Sorglos »

Machinedrum appears to be quite awesome. I recently got a secondhand Octatrack for 680€. it is pretty rad for creating drum loops, especially with probability (sampler though).

Considering the pricetag you mentioned: TR8 secondhand with distortion pedal (gets you the 909 sound and more). 2hand Machinedrum or OT.

Meatwad
Onions

Post by Meatwad »

timc3 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 pm
Well I guess I would hit the second hand market to make the money go further.

I still really enjoy my BassStation 2. I have a Neutron as well, but I think the BassStation is a bit more of an allrounder. Then whatever drum machine I could pick up for what is left.
I've had a BS2 for about a year or so. Still use it regularly - so versatile. I even started using it to design kick drums the other day and have made some pretty flavourful 909/808 style kicks. It can also be a midi controller for your pc, it can be used as a effects box you can run other gear through to use it's filter/distortion/overdrive. Some cheap ones about at the moment for roughly €250 as well!

Never tried a DFAM so not sure on its drone capabilities. So I'd lean towards the Dreadbox side of things for the drone machine :)

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Neutron is very nice, i have it. highly recommended :twisted:

i would buy a tr-8s,
a field recorder
a ssd harddrive
that soundcraft console for 350 bucks with the 12 channels and audio interface, dont remember the name.
a Behringer crave just for the lulz
a behringer deepmind 12 to finally make tracks with pads
and the behringer sh-101

would would would though, no money for music atm

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Tanzmaus should be within your budget.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Is there a release date for the RD909? Thought I heard roland had legal people looking into it, so was expecting for it to be pulled.

Machinedrum yes
Dfam yes
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Boiled Egg
Alf Garnett

Post by Boiled Egg »

Mslwte wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:31 pm
Is there a release date for the RD909? Thought I heard roland had legal people looking into it, so was expecting for it to be pulled.

Machinedrum yes
Dfam yes
I can't see it being pulled. Maybe delayed with a redesigned look, as it does look very 'familiar'. Roland don't appear to have a problem with other clones, as far as I'm aware.

Would Roland want to stop people getting their hands on a 300 quid 909? I'm sure it would make a lot of people very pissed with them.

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

Thx to all of you guys for participating !
If i do not change my mind, i will go with the DFAM first.

-Impact seems killer for the price but it worth waiting a bit to see how the Behringer RD909 will do.
-Tanzmaus really sounds great, with 2 samples part, for sure a great machine. But it's too small and looks a bit toyish. Shit criteria i know, but for my first hardware gear, i want something nice looking, solid and with a bigger skill cap.
-TR8S : Seems awesome and have been considering buying it at christmas but i think for the price i would get a Machinedrum.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

As your first hardware synth, DFAM is a very limited piece of kit. Ignore the fact it has Moog written on it, it`s not the best first hardware choice.
I think that`s something to add once you have a pallette of stuff.
Tanzmaus is a very solid bit of kit, not toyish at all, I`d happily take one out live. As a first bit of hardware you`ll get a lot of use out of it.
youtu.be/pu_nHerEvHk

TR8S is probably your best best as you get samples as well as synth drums so you get more variety out of it.
New Shit

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Masari wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 am
-Tanzmaus really sounds great, with 2 samples part, for sure a great machine. But it's too small and looks a bit toyish. Shit criteria i know, but for my first hardware gear, i want something nice looking, solid and with a bigger skill cap.
Don't let images on the net put you off, it's a steel case and the buttons and knobs are solid. Decent build quality - MFB did have some less than stellar build quality on products years ago but they seem to have sorted all that out now.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:23 am
As your first hardware synth, DFAM is a very limited piece of kit. Ignore the fact it has Moog written on it, it`s not the best first hardware choice.
I think that`s something to add once you have a pallette of stuff.
Tanzmaus is a very solid bit of kit, not toyish at all, I`d happily take one out live. As a first bit of hardware you`ll get a lot of use out of it.
youtu.be/pu_nHerEvHk

TR8S is probably your best best as you get samples as well as synth drums so you get more variety out of it.
Will watch it tonight thx for the link !
Can i question u why do you think DFAM is a limited piece of kit ? It apparently cans do both Drums, Noises, and even Synth parts ? Being a semi modular, i think it will do a great job once i get the Model D or Neutron too.
I know TR8S would do great, but isn't it better to get a Machinedrum for the same price ?

Masari
sad bastard

Post by Masari »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:40 am
Masari wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 am
Don't let images on the net put you off, it's a steel case and the buttons and knobs are solid. Decent build quality - MFB did have some less than stellar build quality on products years ago but they seem to have sorted all that out now.
U totally right mate, i know Tanzbar v1 had some build quality issues, a point for the Tanzmaus if it's not the case anymore.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Masari wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Will watch it tonight thx for the link !
Can i question u why do you think DFAM is a limited piece of kit ? It apparently cans do both Drums, Noises, and even Synth parts ? Being a semi modular, i think it will do a great job once i get the Model D or Neutron too.
I know TR8S would do great, but isn't it better to get a Machinedrum for the same price ?
The DFAM is monophonic. 1 sound.......
A monophonic drum machine would get cussed down by everyone if it didn't have Moog written on it (especially at that price point)..
You an sort of motion sequence it so you sort of kind of get more than one sound, but basically it's monophonic. That's why I say it's something to add to your setup to expand your drum pallet, once you actually have a drum pallet to expand on.
It's more of a monophonic percussion synth than a drum machine.

Machinedrum would certainly be a lot more versatile, but not everyone likes the sound (or having to use the ass backwards electron methodology), you get a lot more for your money compared to the DFAM, better sequencing and of course it's poly and multitimbral As a first bit of hardware it's pretty good. You could make an entire tune on a machinedrum.

TR8S is machinedrum better?
Highly subjective.
Tr8S does proper sampling, machinedrum doesn't really, very very short sample memory in machine drum. And of course TR8S has different sound pallet, different sequencing style. Overall it's a better interface than the machine drum, with more hands on and less menu diving and multi button function stuff.

So neither is better, it's a matter of personal choice.

But yeah, DFAM as a first but of hardware would be disappointing. Ignore the fact it has Moog on it, people get blinded by that name.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Boiled Egg wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:37 pm
Mslwte wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Machinedrum yes
Dfam yes
I can't see it being pulled. Maybe delayed with a redesigned look, as it does look very 'familiar'. Roland don't appear to have a problem with other clones, as far as I'm aware.

Would Roland want to stop people getting their hands on a 300 quid 909? I'm sure it would make a lot of people very pissed with them.
The patents have all long run out, there's nothing they can legally do about clones. The only thing they still have some claim over is the specific look and imagery of the machine, which can, as you've said, be avoided by going with a different look.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Do Roland even own the copyright on the aesthetic design though?
New Shit

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

And don't forget that DFAM has no Midi and no sequencer reset, what can make it pretty annoying when not having the right setup to integrate it.
:geek: