Processing field recordings

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Martin
clown
Processing field recordings

Post by Martin »

Hi!
Im in the process of cutting hits and sounds from field recordings to make some new samples. When ive done this before ive just been dragging the recordings into the current project and scanning to see what i can find that fits the track im working on.
Now im building a library, to have loads of interesting samples ready, so that i can speed up my writing sessions and not get stuck in sounddesign or endless searching through recordings.

Does anyone have any tips, thoughts or ideas on how to process the samples? I want to keep them as raw as possible, to open myself for creative use and production and to make choices of processing once they are in a context. But i still want them to work "straight away". The idea is to build some nice drumkits on my MPC Live once i have the samples ready.

Im thinking some smooth filtering and dynamics processing where its necessary. How about tuning, would you tune the samples beforehand, or tune them once they are in a context?

Also, what levels would you use for the samples? There can be some really sharp peaks in the recordings, how would you approach that? Limiting? Clipping? Saturation? Or keep them?

And finally, any ideas on how to structure/categorise the samples whilst not locking my mind to creative use?

Lots of questions, but i would really appreciate some thoughts and feedback!

Thanks!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Processing field recordings

Post by Lost to the Void »

I don't process my field recordings at all, just edit them into useful pieces

All processing is done when they are used in a tune.

I've never seen much point to processing field recordings until you use them.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Fourty Two
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by Fourty Two »

I like sometimes go without any expectations just mess around. Run them through different Reaktor effects and vsts. Building long chains of effects is my thing. Also, layering effects in parallel instead of putting effects one after another is good approach.
Sometimes it's subtle as eq & compressor, sometimes there's so much processing it's not resembling original at all. My latest discovery is randomizer m4l patch, it's able to bring vst effects and synths to new heights.
Depends on what you're after, sometimes I trim recordings just for percussion his as oneshots, sometimes I leave them as loops. Other times I chop up audio and create loop out of that. Reversing audio, also crucial. I'm not really into "composing" music with idea in mind, it's more like having a dialogue with computer for me.

Sky is the limit, really.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Agree, sometimes i'd just chop them to single hits and add ti folder, proccesing come when you use it in a track or having a sample session where you focusing to have particular sound out of it, like pads, bass etc

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Basically what I was going to say.

Record them, then throw them into ableton. Loop and chop from there. And process the shit out of them afterwards..
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Mslwte wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:

Record them, then throw them into ableton. Loop and chop from there. And process the shit out of them afterwards..
Yeah, you can always build up the project purely for exploring field recordings (even just one), resample interesting results and throw them into a drum rack as you go. They're there for later when you are in a loop building mood. I do this sometimes with old tracks too, revisit stale loops and fuck shit up a bit.

I don't get bogged down in having them "prepared" It's impossible to know what I am preparing them for?! ..

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

intrusav wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:59 pm
Mslwte wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:

Yeah, you can always build up the project purely for exploring field recordings (even just one), resample interesting results and throw them into a drum rack as you go. They're there for later when you are in a loop building mood. I do this sometimes with old tracks too, revisit stale loops and fuck shit up a bit.

I don't get bogged down in having them "prepared" It's impossible to know what I am preparing them for?! ..
Apocalypse? :mrgreen: :geek:
David Icke Fan
S T R I K E S A G A I N

Martin
clown

Post by Martin »

Thanks for great feedback! Im a little anxious when it comes to these things, manic chaos has been my way of working in the past :)

Maybe i can ask if you have any ideas on picking samples for building drum kits? Do you do that?

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

sometimes, i'd just chop some hits, or even leave the audio file as loop, sometimes you can have a really nice groove out of it, with a bit of processing like saturation, pitching down and so on.

just chop the hits and do some processing, there's no other way ;D

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

I only process when I use. I store them in organised folders, named after the type of field recording it comes the closest.