Subsekt's favourite analog stuff: synths drum machines, etc.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
helloitsmeagain
athlete
Re: Subsekt's favourite analog stuff: synths drum machines,

Post by helloitsmeagain »

just got the mfb tanzbar 2 days ago. it's my first drum machine so perhaps i have no context, but it is awesome! huge fun. i'll try put together a little video this weekend and share.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Sweet! I'm probably buying one too, in about 2 months.

Please post tracks made with it, even if it's just some random drum jamming! Not enough Tanzbär demos online, and absolutely zero techno (with the kick drum cranked up) demos.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

helloitsmeagain wrote:just got the mfb tanzbar 2 days ago. it's my first drum machine so perhaps i have no context, but it is awesome! huge fun. i'll try put together a little video this weekend and share.
I want get one of these at the end of the year considering selling my 808 for that and a tempest

vanderlooy
middot

Post by vanderlooy »

I'm also highly interested in the mfb tanzbar, seems like a very nice machine!

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

It looks good, bit more solid than their smaller machines. I'm keen to try one out sometime

osha
Suspect Handshake

Post by osha »

I have the mfb 503, the screen is currently fucked. great little machine for the price, god awful service from the company. i realize its a one man show for the most part and his english isnt great and my german is non existant.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

osha wrote:I have the mfb 503, the screen is currently fucked. great little machine for the price, god awful service from the company. i realize its a one man show for the most part and his english isnt great and my german is non existant.
I got a jomox xbase888 about 2 years ago, and it stopped working like one week after I got it.
Turned out the internal motherboard got fried, he said it was probably because of static electricity.
I know mr jomox used to be the tech that modded Maurizio's 909, so the guy deserves some credit in techno country at least, and that's to put things very mildly. :)
Anyway, I got my Xbase all fixed up and well, but the whole experience of contacting the guy, describing the problem,... wasn't one of my most memorable experiences.
He's a bit of a "nutty professor" type that isn't the best in customer communications, so to say.

I've bought and sold a lot of hardware over the years, and if there's one thing I did learn, it's that I prefer to buy my gear from a BIG seller like "Music Store",
than from the guy who made it directly.
And trust me, normally, I always prefer to buy local, or from a small shop instead of a big shop, always !!
But if gear breaks down, it breaks my heart, it makes my stress levels go all the way up, it's just a pain in the fucking ass, and I've noticed the pain is far less intense if I have to deal with a big store compared to having to deal with the person who made it directly.

If something I got through Music Store breaks down, I just call them, fill in the form, and they pick it up, and a few weeks later I get it back repaired.
I don't have to deal with many mails back and forth of some guy trying to suggest it might my stupid self that doesn't know how to work with the piece of gear, or something else in my soundchain that might be broken.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure these guys get many pieces in that aren't broken at all, so they gotta be a bit sceptic about what they get in for repair, but after all these years of using gear, trust me, the last thing I want is for the piece of gear to be broken, I'd rather have a cable broken for example, far easier to fix, so I test everything else in the chain before I (reluctantly) admit one of my favourite pieces of gear is broken... :)
And with the big stores, they just don't discuss it, they take it in, and ship it back fixed a few weeks later.
You won't hear much details about what exactly caused the problem (which is something I hate, I admit), but the stress levels will be far lower.

That's just my personal experience, of course, I'm sure there are many other stories out there who will confirm the exact opposite of what I just said... ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Dussle
Exampleless

Post by Dussle »

This thread is quote old. Good read. To add my several pence, Mutable Instrument Anushri is amazing. Its so rich and thick and just the right amount of options to stop it becoming boring. Plus in normal function it is one knob per function and can sound fat or spiky but mainly just really rich.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

virtual analogue but Nord Lead 1 is pretty nice