Dark Techno Bass

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Dark Techno Bass

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote: but it will definitely be the disco room when I get round to sorting the room out.
excellent !!
I want a video of you dancing the night away on this classic :

youtu.be/jhUkGIsKvn0
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

penumbra
Poo Fingers

Post by penumbra »

0xa wrote:
The kick sounds like its out of someone's ass.
honestly?.. I think that is straight personal preference on its timbre...

sure, you guys could argue about the levels between it and other elements for days... but to a degree, even THAT is personal preference.

For instance, in various techno tracks, I ve heard some where the "hi-hat" element is pretty fucking loud in relation to everything else... while others they are much quieter.

As for that track... it does not sound like "rumbly" dark techno bass at all. No Kai Pattenberg, Amir Razanica, Noseda, Julian Viegas, Mike Rudd... or any of that stuff.

P.S. just throwin a reverb on kick, lo pass then done... Ive yet to hear anyone on hear do one that sounds anything close to what all those Ive mentioned above are doing.

APTA's... yes, I would say someone prolly did one similar to his... APTA does that bass almost exclusively... like evry single track... I am always surprised every time he comes out with a new one and its that AGAIN.... I mean, I get it, I love the rumbly reverb sub kick thing... I cant get enough of it. But his sounds very similar each time. The artists I mentioned above... they do they do / or have done that technique a lot, and each time it has a different vibe.

The way you guys all think its this lame static, "always the same" sound is always amusing too me. It literally translates to your grandmother saying, "boy... my grandson listens to this music called techno... and its all the same exact song... every song is totally the same... "

because a track with a kick on every quarter is completely different than verb bass... the former is creative... latter is not.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

penumbra wrote: sure, you guys could argue about the levels between it and other elements for days... but to a degree, even THAT is personal preference.
Yes, to a degree. But when it crosses the border of being a flat out terrible mix then it's not personal preference any more.
penumbra wrote: P.S. just throwin a reverb on kick, lo pass then done... Ive yet to hear anyone on hear do one that sounds anything close to what all those Ive mentioned above are doing.
Yeah it takes a little more; adjust some level balance and a little EQ. Compression to choice.
Still quick.

EDIT: I knocked together an example that took me all of a couple of minutes. All ITB using Valhalla Vintage Verb + U-he Satin.

Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

penumbra wrote: The way you guys all think its this lame static, "always the same" sound is always amusing too me. It literally translates to your grandmother saying, "boy... my grandson listens to this music called techno... and its all the same exact song... every song is totally the same... "
Well, most of us just don't like it.
But now you are comparing one certain technique who has been done a little too much to death to someone saying a whole genre with a huge amount of different sounds everywhere (if you at least care to listen) all sounds the same.
So your "literal translation" as you call it, doesn't hold up at all.

I think most of us here who do say we don't like this technique know enough of it to hear that
1. yes, not every track where they use this it's exactly the same, but it's still the same trick being used, only slightly altered, and all to achieve the same effect.
2. we just listen to enough music to like other music better and find that other music maybe slightly more original (though of course that is an opinion).

I've never had a big love for the rumble thing, so I never even tried to do that one single time.
But I always find it amusing that if you don't seem to care for something that is now very much in fashion,
you are being compared to someone who doesn't think forward, who's become this "aged person", set in stone.
It's like you can't ever just happen to not like something, or have an opinion.
It's always immediately the extremes.
They always call the age thing and never consider that mileage might determine our opinion a HELL of a lot more than our age.

I don't think anyone here went "ah, FUCK, that rumble shit thing !!" like 3 years ago.
We didn't suddenly wake up to decide to hate the thing (I still don't hate it, I just don't care for it and find it far too much overdone, that's all)
I think most here just thought in the beginning "ah, nice and deep, dark atmosphere,... decent big room techno stuff"
And then, after a year or so, we started to getting quite a bit tired of it,
and then after the Xth topic here being started to make that sound.
Well, yeah, this is eventually the reaction you might get.
Is this the reaction of some aged people who's opinions are set in stone ?
I personally don't think so. You do think so.
To each his own opinion.

8-)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

penumbra wrote: because a track with a kick on every quarter is completely different than verb bass... the former is creative... latter is not.
again, you are comparing apples with oranges (though before you were comparing apples with elephants or something).
Of course, that 4 to the floor kick has been done to death.
Not a single soul here will deny that.
And we've had several topics here started about broken beat techno.
But are you gonna start saying the same now about every fucking music genre that uses a 4/4 kick now ?
Good luck with that.

So yes, it's been done to death, but it's such a basic thing, it's that "eternal heartbeat" thing of most electronical music,
so much so that you can only smile the very few times it hasn't been used, but otherwise just have to accept it as the standard or better just leave the electronical music world all together, or at least the genres where this 4 to the floor thing is pretty much always there.

But what I was puzzled about from the start...
So you really like that low rumble thing, but you seem to really dislike that 4 to the floor thing.
Does that mean you are mostly listening to tracks with broken beat kicks and yet mostly low rumble stuff going on ?

I'd love to hear some of that.
So please post some links with those 2 innovating elements going on at the same time.
I'm always up to learn about new stuff ! :)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

penumbra wrote:
The way you guys all think its this lame static, "always the same" sound is always amusing too me. It literally translates to your grandmother saying, "boy... my grandson listens to this music called techno... and its all the same exact song... every song is totally the same... "
Some of us have been putting up with reverb bass questions for a few years now. You'd be sick of it too.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

penumbra wrote:

Genuine curiosity, how long have you been into electronic music, techno? Your analogy is pretty bad to be honest.
It always come down to how well executed the end result is and 95% of all verb-rumble today is actually very same-same and lacks imagination and well executed creative elements in general. You surely realize this.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by 14.9.11.9.20.1 »

Hey guys!

Sorry for my English it not my native language.

Please listen reference below.
There from Dustin Zahn's sample pack...Sounds more smooth and deeper then examples below.
I tried to make something like this with verb, filtering, compression and EQing, but I'm not satisfied the result.
I guess it reversed verb kick (sub) and another reverb trick. Any guess work?

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=DZ ... FichJa.wav

Thanks for your time and Cheers from Moscow.
Nikita.

bioniceye
clueless

Post by bioniceye »

here some inspiration for you
youtu.be/6TT9GSw6WAQ

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

I fucking love four to the floor, its the reason that around '92 I turned away from hardcore (old school) and immersed myself in techno. sure it's been done to death but it always defined techno for me,
FUCK-WIT

christianmdp
Unartful

Post by christianmdp »

I´m definitely going to record the sound of a harley davidson motorbike engine and tweak a bit (lot) (less) (confused) :roll:

Or maybe a diesel energy generator... :geek:

Or who knows... my wife rumbling....... oooops overinfo here :oops:
.. and the worms ate into his brains ..

mtks
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by mtks »

bioniceye wrote:here some inspiration for you
thanx a lot!