What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: What Monitors / Headphones do you use?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Ignoring the overblown statements, when you listen to what more balanced, experienced engineers are saying, the difference between the A7 and the 207 is extremely slight, negligible even.

Not enough to warrant a change. The longer you spend with a set of good monitors,mthe better you will mix on them. After a couple of years you should know them completely.

Stick with the Adams if you have them already.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Evil_Dali
Little chief

Post by Evil_Dali »

KRK Rokit 6's, they're good and accurate with highs and mids but lack bass, so mixing low end is bit of a mystery everytime. They can go low and stuff but low's are always very quiet so when I mix a track that sounds balanced with them it will be quite bassy and muddy on my other soundsystem. Thinking of buying a sub to my setup.

Udy
brown envelope

Post by Udy »

I have recently got some Yamaha Hs8s. They are better than the passive Alesis MkIIs and ropey HiFi amp I was using before. They are sat on some of those Isol8r stands and I have some HD25s which obviously could be better but had them from years of DJing.

My tracks have definitely sounded better since getting the new speakers, although that could be because I got an Elektron A4 at the same time ;)

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Those Yamaha's are very good for the price imo! Definitely recommended with a limited budget.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Udy wrote:I have recently got some Yamaha Hs8s. They are better than the passive Alesis MkIIs and ropey HiFi amp I was using before. They are sat on some of those Isol8r stands and I have some HD25s which obviously could be better but had them from years of DJing.

My tracks have definitely sounded better since getting the new speakers, although that could be because I got an Elektron A4 at the same time ;)

I made the same jump from decent shelf speakers and amp to the HS80s. Always happy when I see them in production tutorial videos, money well spent.

I have Sellout dynamics 770 turning up tomo. Was holding out for the 880s but the 770 went down to 80 quid, so figured that money saved will probs go on kids stuff, or a new shelf for the house.

Anyhow sure it will beat my 15 year old technics headphones

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

just got the dt770. not that much different from my senheizer ear buds. much better low-end though. i paid just over 100 pound. love to know where you got yours for 80.

edit : also got a new laptop since using my old one as a head rest resulted in a cracked screen. got the best specs i could. installing xen hyper visor now; multi OS heaven follows shortly.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

nocernoc wrote:just got the dt770. not that much different from my senheizer ear buds. much better low-end though. i paid just over 100 pound. love to know where you got yours for 80.

edit : also got a new laptop since using my old one as a head rest resulted in a cracked screen. got the best specs i could. installing xen hyper visor now; multi OS heaven follows shortly.
I got them from http://www.dv247.com/ they were doing a weekend sale.

Really did want the 880s, but just couldn't justify £170 especially as I've just spent £300 on the car last week too.
But the way I see it either way these must be an upgrade to what I've been using.

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

i got the 32 ohm ones. they're meant for "mobile" applications. i was a little miffed to see they had one star for studio applications and 3 stars for mobile applications on the box. i got them so i could use them on what ever shitty sound board i have. they work very nicely with onboard laptop sound. a max windows volume level, equates to perfect producing volume. obviously they'll have a much poorer noise floor than the 80, 250, 600, etc, but tbh, i can't hear much in the way of noise. and like you say, it's a step above what i had previously.

i'm not keen on the whole open headphone model. don't want noise leakage as most of what i'm doing is in public places.

also got a little focusrite interface; the solo one. just perfect for me. single player all the way. i haven't tried it yet, but i want to compare the on-board vs their "award winning" amp. i doubt there's going to be much difference.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Did look at the 990s before pressing the checkout button. But don't really think open back are for me.
There's a topic on here which I referred to, and that ensured I made a decision I'll hopefully be comfortable with once I've burned the new cans in.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

interesting that so many here prefer closed back headphones. when i bought my AKG K701 i compared them to the 990s and 880s in the store and i liked them so much more. The closed ones sound very "boomey" in my opinion. kinda like a pimped car stereo. fun to listen to music but for mixing i prefer the AKGs. and since i only use them at home i dont care much about noise leakage

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

880's are semi-open. They leak/let in sound like a mofo, so much so that I have to be careful where I use them as they annoy the missus ;)

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

my bad. i bought them nearly 2 years ago so it has been a while that i did the comparison in the shop...
i actually wanted to get 880s first from what i read about them. but when listening to different headphones in the shop the K701s were just the ones i liked the most within my price range

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

if i had a more private space i'd probably have gone for the (semi) open ones because, from what i've read (SOS being one source), they're more honest than the closed ones. but in that case, i'd probably be on monitors most the time. depends a lot on your setting. one huge plus for good phones is that they go right down to 20Hz, giving at lease some alternative to a sub. if you've got family or other people living with you, you want to minimize the noise. i'm even paranoid about neighbours complaining.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

tuuluuwag wrote:surely there will be hell by saying it.. but i love and will stick by my audio-technica ath-m50's

Nah, I totally love mine too, they really are great for the money. But for mixing they are too hyped in the low end and muddy in the upper mids. Great for jamming and vibing out to though...

I just bought a pair of DT880's today will revert back on them, I had wanted the AKG K702 since I've used other AKG's in the past but they were too pricey for me.

Lost to the Void wrote:The longer you spend with a set of good monitors,mthe better you will mix on them. After a couple of years you should know them completely.
This is it basically, I'm struggling even after upgrading to larger Adam's after working on A7's for the last 4-5 years. Its all about how well you know them.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

msl wrote: I had wanted the AKG K702 since I've used other AKG's in the past but they were too pricey for me.
U can check the K701. They are identical sound-wise but on the K702 u can detach the cable. I dont wear them outside so the fixed cable is no issue for me and the K701 are quite a bit cheaper

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

My BD 770s turned up yesterday. Gave them a test across a range of stuff. Massive difference, the sense of space is the first thing I've noticed, very comfortable also. Will obviously take a while to get used to, but this is defo feels like money well spent. Never thought the difference between studio and DJ cans would be so great.

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

i've been playing with mine as well. the experience was fantastic for about 4 - 5 hours. then i found myself turning the gain up more and more so i could get the sound i had when i first started the session. i suppose that's what they call "fatigue"? anyway, the earbuds i was using previously left my ears ringing a couple days after a session. with the 770, my ears are back to normal the next morning. i'm still really really looking forward to getting a properly treated room and some slick monies.

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

i´m using the Shure SRH 840 and Fostex PM1 MK1 Monitors. Headphones are great for finding Noise and Stuff who doesn´t belong to the mix but they are weak in the low end. But thats for, i have my Monitors.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:880's are semi-open. They leak/let in sound like a mofo, so much so that I have to be careful where I use them as they annoy the missus ;)
send her back to the kitchen FFS ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

In my experience closed headphones always give you a more "claustrophobic" experience, and definitely give more ear pressure which results to ear fatigue a lot sooner.

I've used open headphones, semi-open and closed.
I have a little headphone "fetish" so to say, and have quite a few pairs which I use for different purposes.

Last purchase was the Phonon SMB-02, and I'm totally in love with them.
Though they are a closed type of headphones, the still let in a tiny bit of noise, which also helps to stop the ear fatigue to come up too soon.
They're simply perfect for studio use, but I even use them for my iPod, even though the cable is too long for it, and you definitely hear the iPod has raeched it's limits with headphones that good.

But I can't help it, their sound is very addictive. Extremely detailed and perfect low end in my opinion.

Not cheap though, but to me they sound as though they should normally ask twice the price for a pair like that.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa