First modular encounters. Holy moly.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
rktic
Utter Cunt
First modular encounters. Holy moly.

Post by rktic »

Okay,

where do i start. I never owned a synth. I never felt like owning a synth. I never felt like i've been missing something. I say that even after producing tracks at fully blown studios with any gear one could possibly long for. Except a modular thing.

So, my first bunch of eurorack modules arrived yesterday. Eventhough my main VCO didn't arrive yet (waiting for the Furthrrrr Generator) and "only" having a rather basic Doepfer A-110 for playing around i must confess, i've never heard such a creamy, well balanced bass coming from my speakers. It's uncanny. It's heavy. It's full of techno glory.

It was quite a step into the unknown as i never had my hands on a modular before. But, but... Holy shit! I need a decent amount of work and mindfully selected plugs to get halfway there what this thing spits out without any further processing.

It makes me feel stupid. Utterly stupid, dumb & ignorant to not give this a try earlier. I already love this thing and so far i'm just scratching the surface obviously. Seems like i caught the modular virus. I WANT MOOOOOORRRRREEEEEE.

So fucking much looking forward to the arrival of my main VCO and i wonder: how low will it go?

xonetacular
Gnasher
Re: First modular encounters. Holy moly.

Post by xonetacular »

yeah modular is pretty much the greatest thing ever

the furthrrrr is a cool looking osc but is a bit on the thin sounding side compared to other complex VCOs- not sure how it would be for low end duty. if you're impressed by the A110 you will certainly be happy with any additional VCOs.

I'm pretty much at 12u full now and am waiting for the doepfer low cost base to come out to expand. i swear ill stop there...

s-tek
beast

Post by s-tek »

hey ronny, nice to see you here too =)

I also own a modular system. Also with many doepfer modules and in example an A-111-5 VCO (Dark Energy Module) it will be bigger this year. Im lucky to have a shop like schneidersladen.de directly in my town (Berlin) where I can get new modules and try out anything I want or need. :)

the following sites are a good start for modular madness:
http://www.modularplanner.co.uk/ - modular planner. simply great!
http://modulargrid.net/

http://www.schneidersladen.de - greatest shop for nerds like us :D
http://www.ebay.de /.com... - If you know what you want, search here.

http://www.curetronic.com - 5 instead of eurorack modular 3 HE, but you can DIY all parts and get some nice kits here

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

xonetacular,

yes - i heard similar things about it already but then again also the opposite. Still longing for a DPO anytime lateron. I think i'll also get another A-110 and apply the linear FM mod.

s-tek,

thanks for your recommendations. I wouldn't have got this far without these sites. Except curetronic - gonna check it out! My neighbour is keen on DIYing some modules himself for my rack. That one looks like a great resource!

Bit of wiggling...
youtu.be/Hhc9XLkqskM

Jef
non reader

Post by Jef »

This is addictive..... I am also taking my first steps after playing around with an modular a night. Modular is really helping understanding sound creation. The virus got me, dpo is arriving next week :shock:
rumble

nervejammer
quasi-public

Post by nervejammer »

I've been messing with my Red Square while I wait for my Make Noise system to arrive , what a delight not having everything in sync, actually touching - yes touching! - controls, having to think linearly as you patch is so good for the head as well, i like it living outside the box...

vasculator
Unfriended

Post by vasculator »

i've been building my modular up slowly for 4+ years now. i actually just last night had the first occasion to play it out live for a noise show a friend put on. i have to say i was surprised how much raw energy poured out of it thru the PA. i've listened to it for endless hours at home as it's evolved but hearing it on a system the first time was something else. i made a base patch at home that i knew the rough parameters of then live-patched for 15 minutes. it was a lot more fun than i expected.

gabe DM
refusenik

Post by gabe DM »

I got in touch with modular systems this year for the first time as two of my colleagues constructed two units, plus I attended a gig only modulars. I would love to start assembly my own the problem is I have no idea where to start. which basic unit to start playingwith and so on. I will look up for some tuts right now :)
Gabe DM

----------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/gabedm
http://gabedm.wordpress.com

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

xonetacular wrote:yeah modular is pretty much the greatest thing ever

the furthrrrr is a cool looking osc but is a bit on the thin sounding side compared to other complex VCOs- not sure how it would be for low end duty. if you're impressed by the A110 you will certainly be happy with any additional VCOs.

I'm pretty much at 12u full now and am waiting for the doepfer low cost base to come out to expand. i swear ill stop there...
I was sceptic about the FG first as well cause i heard similar things but so far i can't complain. The amount of low end cream while taking it to extremes is just lovely.

youtu.be/X4S3XobggPs
gabe DM wrote:I got in touch with modular systems this year for the first time as two of my colleagues constructed two units, plus I attended a gig only modulars. I would love to start assembly my own the problem is I have no idea where to start. which basic unit to start playingwith and so on. I will look up for some tuts right now :)
I recommend you define what kinda sounds you want to get out of it first and then see which modules come across your way. If you need some input, let me know.

gabe DM
refusenik

Post by gabe DM »

hey ronny that is much fuuun!
I really want to dig deeper into modular madness and I have no idea where to start but I got in touch with a really skilled modular geek who will guide me thorugh, so he said :) looking forward to your future experimentation.
Gabe DM

----------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/gabedm
http://gabedm.wordpress.com

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Man.. those videos are great. Love the sound of the filters Ronny.

Amazing how much variation in sound you can just from a slight twist on something. Have you done any jamming with beats yet, or made any tracks?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

xort
washable

Post by xort »

How much would a similar setup set me bach in gold ?

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

ICN wrote:Man.. those videos are great. Love the sound of the filters Ronny.

Amazing how much variation in sound you can just from a slight twist on something. Have you done any jamming with beats yet, or made any tracks?
No tracks yet but the folder of captured sequences is growing and growing :) Will use the basterd for a remix during the next days and then start making tracks with it.

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

tiptop audio trigger riot drum sequencer coming out this month. a different take on drum sequencing

youtu.be/yRWtH1dtyOg

youtu.be/YAbxzBafCdA

I plan to expand to have a lot of drum sequencing next

also waiting on my pcb and panel to arrive to build one of these noise beasts:

youtu.be/zz5QR_khHnU

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Jupiter Storm is on my wantlist as well. Not sure if i'll get the assembled or DIY version though. Should go for the cheap solution...