Curious - anyone on here use a DAW other than Live?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Curious - anyone on here use a DAW other than Live?

Post by Lost to the Void »

ozias_leduc wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:31 am
So , despite my post above, I have purchased Bitwig

So far (very early days) I love it.

Something about Ableton's aesthetic has always troubled me, it's so ugly, uninspiring. I kinda missed Cubase's colourfulness.

BUT the thing that REALLY sold me, was you can customise Bitwig's keyboard shortcuts. This, to me, is HUGE.

The browser interface is also much much nicer than Ableton's little side bar which to me, is limited and annoying.

Bounce in place and hybrid tracks is also a fantastic workflow improvement.

SO yeah. Early days yet but I suspect this was a good idea.
Late now, but you can change abletons colour pallette, customise it or download different looks.

I generally swap the look every few months.

For the example
Discord-Ableton-Live.png
Discord-Ableton-Live.png (172.87 KiB) Viewed 5624 times
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Yep I was actually using that Discord theme for a bit!

Interestingly you *can't* change themes on Bitwig

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I have been using Bitwig since probably version 1.2, and was sold on the modulation features - and I also hated the look of Ableton at the time. I do think a themed Ableton does look better and bitwig could do with an overhaul. Too much orange.

I personally think bitwig could do with stopping messing around with adding new instruments, and instead offer even more modulation facilities like being able to draw modulation curves (a bit like the options from Cable Guys) and some other FXs could do with some love. But apart from that I am a happy user.

Oh and for some reason the Softtube plugins can sometimes have problems with Bitwig - I have heard they have fixed it, but I haven't bothered testing it recently.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

timc3 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:38 pm
I have been using Bitwig since probably version 1.2, and was sold on the modulation features - and I also hated the look of Ableton at the time. I do think a themed Ableton does look better and bitwig could do with an overhaul. Too much orange.

I personally think bitwig could do with stopping messing around with adding new instruments, and instead offer even more modulation facilities like being able to draw modulation curves (a bit like the options from Cable Guys) and some other FXs could do with some love. But apart from that I am a happy user.

Oh and for some reason the Softtube plugins can sometimes have problems with Bitwig - I have heard they have fixed it, but I haven't bothered testing it recently.
Yeah I use Saturation Knob from Softtube, and it was causing weird CPU spikes - but an update has fixed that problem

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Great. Going to try it out again

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

timc3 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:38 pm

I`m on the Beta team for Softube, there are quite a few problems stemming from their graphics choices, these lead to various issues, most common being slow plugin load times. They have said they are aware and are going to do something. But it seems to be taking a long time.
New Shit

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I use FL Studio v11 as my primary DAW. Can't be bothered updating to newer versions despite it probably make a few things easier.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:01 pm
I`m on the Beta team for Softube, there are quite a few problems stemming from their graphics choices, these lead to various issues, most common being slow plugin load times. They have said they are aware and are going to do something. But it seems to be taking a long time.
They are Swedish, there is a lot of coffee breaks, vacation and paternity/maternity leave to be done - it's amazing anything gets built around here at all. Mind you the postal service takes 5 longer than it should but we can blame that on the Danes. :D

Bitwig just announced version 4. Somehow it looks even uglier than before, but maybe that is just the screenshots on their site.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

New Bitwig update seems great.

Kinda wish I didn`t upgrade ableton now.
I think I`m going to promise myself to switch to bitwig at the end of the year.
New Shit

collide
Smore

Post by collide »

I'm using Logic Pro X.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:03 pm

yeah the new operators are really cool

so far really enjoying the Bitwig workflow

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 5:03 pm

What Bitwig features make you want to switch?

Uija
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Uija »

I switched to Bitwig because it was not fun to send MIDI CC to external Hardware in Live and I needed something new.
Cannot remember the last time I was that productive...

between stars
Onions

Post by between stars »

Does Bitwig handle sync with external midi and audio devices better than Live?

Louk
fancy woman

Post by Louk »

Cubase here!

PASS
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by PASS »

Logic Pro X... very good additions to electronic music production were the Phat FX and the Step FX effects some time ago. The only thing I miss is to be able to modulate parameters in audio tracks as easy as can be done in midi tracks. For my taste Logic still has the best GUI.

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

I curious to try Bitwig, I will propably shift from abe this year, I find it a bit, boring after all those years, never really got "live" part of it to click with my workflow, so I will try something different.
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

PASS wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:43 am
Logic Pro X... very good additions to electronic music production were the Phat FX and the Step FX effects some time ago. The only thing I miss is to be able to modulate parameters in audio tracks as easy as can be done in midi tracks. For my taste Logic still has the best GUI.
I agree, the last Logic update was really great. Phat Fx and Step Fx are so good. The midi modifiers are amazing too. Can really create complex modulations like you would in a modular system.
You can use the compressor sidechain listen trick on an instrument track to pipe audio in and use the midi modifiers like you would on a midi track.

PASS
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by PASS »

buffered wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:52 am
...You can use the compressor sidechain listen trick on an instrument track to pipe audio in and use the midi modifiers like you would on a midi track.
Thanks for the tip! I've been doing it via external instrument > IAC bus... even more movements involved

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

PASS wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:46 pm
buffered wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:52 am
...You can use the compressor sidechain listen trick on an instrument track to pipe audio in and use the midi modifiers like you would on a midi track.
Thanks for the tip! I've been doing it via external instrument > IAC bus... even more movements involved
i'm guessing they will make the midi tools available across all channel types in a new update. so many people asking about this.