---- Elektron User Topic -----

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: ---- Elektron User Topic -----

Post by Lost to the Void »

You can't make a mono signal stereo without messing with the coherence, so no, putting a stereo make probably isn't the best idea if you are using drums etc. I can't remember how the BX stereo maker works but I'm pretty sure it introduces some phase.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Fourty Two
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by Fourty Two »

Be without wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:39 pm
output is mono..
No, it's stereo, with two mono jacks, or single stereo jack for headphones. Only thing that is actually mono are samples, which are converted to mono during import. Then playback is mono until you hit panning, or effects. There's ping pong option for delay, which is going to delay signal first on left, then on right and so on. I'm not sure how reverb handles stereo, though.

So if you're recording main output as mono (so just left or right channel), this might be problem as half of those echoes will be gone.

As rule of thumb, just record stuff dry and then apply effects afterwards while post processing.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Digitakt converts samples to mono?
New Shit

Fourty Two
No Avatar = Thick Bastard

Post by Fourty Two »

Yep. For some people it's deal-breaker, some people just don't give damn.

I'm one of latter ones :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Wow, that's super stupid.
Maybe they cheaped out on processing power or something..
I had no idea

I suppose it's mainly meant as a drum device so it makes sense in that respect I guess.
New Shit

Be without
Opposite

Post by Be without »

Thanks, that clears things up for me. I’ll just continue to use Digitakt as I had been. It’s a brilliant little sampler/midi sequencer. Probably the most fun piece of equipment I’ve owned.

Skullrattler
quasi-public

Post by Skullrattler »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:30 pm
Wow, that's super stupid.
Maybe they cheaped out on processing power or something..
No shit, they are the masters of packaging cheap tech from 20 years ago in expensive hi-tech looking boxes.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Tuning drums on a rytm... Is for example a bassdrum machines "0" in tuning the note "c"? And therefore +12 an octave? And if so, is this with all rytms' synth machines? Or how do you do it?
Also playing melodies in that sequencer? There is no easy way to show played notes, no? Only via parameterlocks with tuning automation on every step?
:geek:

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

I sold my RYTM but IIRC:

The tuning number has nothing to do with relevancy to “C”. I believe there is a chart on Elektronauts, but your best bet is to do it by ear or using a spectrum bc of the pitch envelope.

As for entering pitched notes, there is definitely a way to do this but I can’t remember the specifics (it may also change by mode).

I would try turning on the mode where each pad is a different note (bottom left is the original pitch). From here I would hold a trig key and press the pad you want (in TR mode). Otherwise just play in the pads you like in real time record.

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Root wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:44 pm
Tuning drums on a rytm... Is for example a bassdrum machines "0" in tuning the note "c"? And therefore +12 an octave? And if so, is this with all rytms' synth machines? Or how do you do it?
Also playing melodies in that sequencer? There is no easy way to show played notes, no? Only via parameterlocks with tuning automation on every step?
The tuning is a bit more tricky than that. There is a cheatsheet:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vm7tt9ef7e2c ... e.zip?dl=0

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Also... there is chromatic mode where you play notes with the pads.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Root wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:44 pm
No. Between 0 and 12 on one of the analog voices is not an octave. Tuning the analogue voices is tricky imo.

And no - no easy way that I know.of, if you play a melody, the only way to see the notes is to look at the pitch plock on every step....
Last edited by terryfalafel on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

There's a thread on elektronauts about tuning the analogue voices. Worth having a hunt for...

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Great, thanks! Here is an older response from elektron:

"The Analog Rytms oscillators were not primarily designed to be played chromatically and therefore some of the drum-models have their preset tuning set differently. And also, due to the nature of the analog circuits, some of the models will not track 100% at the top octave. For instance BD hard has a preset tuning of -6 where a more correct setting would be +2. The same applies to most of the analogue drum-sounds - they have slightly different settings where they are in tune: BD hard: +2 BD classic: +2 BD FM: +2 SD hard: -7 SD classic: +4 SD fm: +4 BTCL: +4 XTCL: +9 CHCL: 0 OHCL: 0 CYCL: -1 CBCL: 0"

This applies to older machines and some say it's been changed in newer ones. I mean, tuning by ear is for sure the best method. It would be nice to have a little orientation. I found out, that tuning parameter will jump an octave when holding the function key. So it seems that +24 is an octave and therefore 2 parameter steps equal one semitone. I'll earn my experience with it and it'll flow for sure..

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Is anyone using Overbridge for Digitakt/ Digitone? For someone who was completely desperate for it, I've not really found it useful at all :(
If you're using it, how are you finding it useful?

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

Can we just take a moment and think about how Elektron could have implemented tuning in way that made sense on the Rytm (ie: semitones and fine tuning) and instead came up with the mess described over the last few posts?

It’s comical really

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

Dave wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:02 am
Is anyone using Overbridge for Digitakt/ Digitone? For someone who was completely desperate for it, I've not really found it useful at all :(
If you're using it, how are you finding it useful?
I'm using it for both DT and DN and found it highly useful for processing all channels separately.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Well, after an unsuccessful/unfulfilling 6-month stint with a Rytm MK1 last year, I'm giving the MKII a go now after beginning to feel too limited by my TR-8s in my live setup.

I have to say, my impression of the Rytm MKII after only a week or so of having it significantly improved over my impression of the MK1. There are a couple of particular features which really stand out to me as major improvements:

- UI: The buttons are no longer homogeneous gray shapes with nothing to distinguish them except for tiny printed text -- they're now backlit in most cases and have different shapes/sizes which improve workflow (for instance, the FUNC button is specifically large and distinct now). This greatly improves recognition over recall.

- Screen: The screen on the MK1 was unusable garbage and and frankly worse than those on many shitty 90s boxes -- unacceptable for a flagship device in the current decade. The screen on the MKII is sharp and readable -- not amazing, but absolutely serviceable compared to the old one.

- Pads: Bigger and more responsive.

- Sample management: I'll be honest, the analogue machines still leave a lot to be desired at times, but the sample management feels a lot more fluid now. I don't know if the Elektron Transfer software is also available for the MK1, but using it is a breeze -- dragging and dropping sample folders and having them transfer quickly via USB, with subfolder structures intact, and no additional fuss turns the Rytm into a do-all groove box.

We'll see how I continue to get along with it in the coming months, but so far it's a thumbs up from me.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Jean Luc Cougar wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:31 pm
Can we just take a moment and think about how Elektron could have implemented tuning in way that made sense on the Rytm (ie: semitones and fine tuning) and instead came up with the mess described over the last few posts?

It’s comical really
I really don't know if there are technical reasons for it, but yeah, it's kind of stupid not having any given notes while tuning. I mean okay, it's meant as a drum machine, not a harmonic synthesizer. But at least there isn't at least a comparable tuning method between the different machines. On the other hand, it's pretty good ear training, as I don't care about the tuning numbers any more. Maybe it's for the same studip reason that made elektron not let Rytm send Midi out to control other synths: selling Analog Four and Octatrack..

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I finally sold my RYTM this week and I'm completely Elektron free now. It was the Elektron machine which lasted the longest time in my studio though. In the end it was just a overpriced kickdrum source to me so it had to go.

That said, i just bought me the Erica Bass Dum module for my Eurorack rig and it pleased me more within 2 days than the RYTM in 2 years.

One thing i learned from using Elektrons....i hate menu diving on hardware. At first, i hadn't much problems with it.I think mainly because i was new to hardware workflow. I was excited and the Elektrons cover a lot of ground. But in the end i always was much faster in the box and the Elektron sound just can't justify to keep these overpriced boxes. To me, there is a reason that my Dominion 1 goes nowhere (immeadiate user interface and second to none sound) but Elektron can fuck off. It was a cool but non-productive ride with Elektron.

I guess with a bit of preparing they are good machines for live gigs but as i don't do this i can't justify it. .....Gimme modulezzzzz.....
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths