It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 186  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: >>>> Post A Clip Of What You Are Working On <<<<<
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm 
pregnant

Hades hahaha you're so crazy man , I laughed about that diarhea thing, btw is there any thread on FM synthesis on the classics suboard , trying to learn it but can't really figure it out

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 pm 
Interchangeable

here's the thing, I'm pretty sure 90% of the folks that use FM are using it the "70% pure luck, 25% cat just jumped on the controller and 5% possibly positive intent" way.
I can recommend you a proper tutorial
and it's gonna eat up ages off your time.
I've been doing without it just fine for years. ;)

In fact, I'm a lot more interested in the additive part of Operator than the FM part, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:46 pm 
Interchangeable

but I gotta be honest, maybe it's just me
(=it's probably, most likely, almost certainly me)

I prefer to use tonal sounds and then start adding extra frequencies to those sounds, disturbing them so to say,
maybe eventually ending up removing part of the extra frequencies I added,
than I like starting off using totally atonal sounds (which is what you end up with in no time when trying to program FM sounds from scratch),
and then trying the best I can for ages just to make them fit better to the rest of my track again.

I think it could have something to do with my classical training/perfect pitch thing.
My oldest walked in this morning while I was listening to some older Voiski releases,
and she was like "urrrmmm, dad, that high sound sounds like it's too high or something, can't really explain it, it sounds a bit wrong"
so yeah, I then had to explain to her it was just a detuned lead sound... :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:56 pm 
slipper

It's strange - I usually try never to follow any ideas of authenticity... I guess I just got stuck in the extreme possibilities that lie within FM :D (But I must also admit that I didn't end up with a satisfying results, thus I will expand my horizon)

What I find fascinating about FM is how "fragile" the algorithm gets. This means that, even without the algorithm being super complex, adjusting one parameter can flip the sound around completely!

Also Hades - isn't the additive part of Operator a part of FM synthesis? Or is that only when you're working with fixed frequencies (asking out of curiosity and ignorance ;) )

One thing I thought helped a lot with getting a better understanding of Operator, was to load up some presets and then activating the operators one after another to see what added which nuance to the sound (and always keep an eye on the algorithm, so you know what affects what!)

It's a lot of fun - I don't think I'm a master of it, but I definitely have gotten a better understanding of how it works and I suppose that counts for something :) (quick tip: if you want it to sound metallic - get some fixed frequencies into the algorithm)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:28 pm 
Interchangeable

Amøbe wrote:
It's strange - I usually try never to follow any ideas of authenticity... I guess I just got stuck in the extreme possibilities that lie within FM :D (But I must also admit that I didn't end up with a satisfying results, thus I will expand my horizon)

What I find fascinating about FM is how "fragile" the algorithm gets. This means that, even without the algorithm being super complex, adjusting one parameter can flip the sound around completely!

Theoretically, you can do tons with FM, a hell of a lot more than what you can do with subtractive synthesis.
But speaking purely theoretically, you can literally do everything with additive synthesis, if your engine has the capacity and you have endless time and patience.
But of course, reality is different, and as you say, with FM for example : it's extremely easy to totally fuck up a good sound by adjusting just 1 or 2 parameters just a tiny bit.
Honestly, this is probably another reason I don't like FM that much... It's not that I have some strange dislike of using it, it's just that it gets too extreme too soon.

I read the FM8 manual from cover to cover a few years ago, and yet I still don't go to FM with an obvious goal, I just use it for some mad experimentation from time to time.
I know I can just upgrade my skills with FM and spend like 20 hours watching the right tutorials, but I far more enjoy spending those 20 hours on experimenting with adding all kinds of FX to synths or resampling stuff or sending stuff through my mixer than learning my FM more.
I know that sounds lazy, but hey, I literally used to read ALL my manuals from cover to cover for many many years,
and I did my best to get every possible synthesis method in my studio somehow,
so yeah, after trying it all out, I guess I just like to spend my time on other things than trying to get my head completely around FM. :)

Amøbe wrote:
Also Hades - isn't the additive part of Operator a part of FM synthesis? Or is that only when you're working with fixed frequencies (asking out of curiosity and ignorance ;) )

One thing I thought helped a lot with getting a better understanding of Operator, was to load up some presets and then activating the operators one after another to see what added which nuance to the sound (and always keep an eye on the algorithm, so you know what affects what!)

It's a lot of fun - I don't think I'm a master of it, but I definitely have gotten a better understanding of how it works and I suppose that counts for something :) (quick tip: if you want it to sound metallic - get some fixed frequencies into the algorithm)

"checking under the hood" of a sound you like is an excellent way to learn more about sound design.
Consider it like when you would eat a great dish at some restaurant and you would ALWAYS get the recipe delivered with the dish, immediately.
How cool would that be ? And yet, that's exactly what is always the case with our presets of our synths.
Just check out the parameters and you'll learn tons...

Also, don't apologize for not knowing something or not being sure about something.
Even in our current days of "info all over, but which one is trustworthy ??", I still don't feel 100% sure about everything, not at all.
Better to have an open mind and ask questions, than to have a big mouth and think you know it all (=a typical disease of our current society)
;)

Anyway, you can do subtractive with Operator, if you just use the far most right algorithm, which makes them all 4 oscillators next to each other, not modulating each other in any way.
(or if you use any other algorithm with only oscillator A active, so that even if you would adjust parameters of the other oscillators, it wouldn't change a damn thing since they are disabled anyway, then you're just using Operator as a single oscillator synth)
And the part where you can draw in the harmonics (on the oscillator page) is the part that gives you the additive power/options, so to say.
So technically, you can combine additive with FM all the time.
But then again, purely theoretically speaking, FM pretty much always gets combined with elements from subtractive synthesis as soon as you pretty much start using a filter,
because all "standard" filters just remove parts of the frequency spectrum, so they are subtracting parts from the original signal.

Operator has been a pretty nice beast of a combination kind of synth,
but personally, when I want extra overtones or a more gritty sound, I prefer to use that oscillator page and draw in some extra harmonics (the additive way),
than experimenting with trying to build a sound from total scratch using only FM (which usually also ends up in a sound that is hard (if not impossible) to play tonally on the keyboard, which is to me another major turn-off as you know)

If I don't make sense, my apologies,
But I just spent the last 2,5 days cleaning out my old room at my parents house, throwing away like 90% of 30+ years of old memories.
Pretty intense.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm 
Small Penis

Prophän wrote:
Ok guys, here is the current version, I would appreciate to know what you think of the claps and rides, I think the rides need some mid range boost, do you agree ?

https://soundcloud.com/prophan303/fwd5/s-Xmo8p

Hmm, the kick/ rumble needs a bit more weight at the bottom i think. It hits hard, but not with much boom.

It sounds a bit strange as the kick is quite punchy and high pitched, but has been hp filtered a bit too much. So it's a little dull.

The claps and rides sound fine to me. I wouldn't boost any frequencies for sure. Rather take away instead if you have to do any eq.

Subsekt special

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:31 pm 
Small Penis

td3l wrote:
Jam from a couple of days ago: https://soundcloud.com/tdel/dw5/s-xW8zX

Feels good to be writing again.

I like this a lot!

Just cut it down to 5-6 mins et voila!

I really fucking like this.

Subsekt special

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:37 pm 
Small Penis

I've had a VERY unproductive 4 months. Absolutely no motivation for music at all, and everything I did make, just sounded extra shitty, more shitty than normal.

As you can hear i'm a keys wizard to rival Stevie Wonder........ :oops:

Any thoughts? Worth finishing?

Subsekt special

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:44 pm 
Interchangeable

jordanneke wrote:
I've had a VERY unproductive 4 months. Absolutely no motivation for music at all, and everything I did make, just sounded extra shitty, more shitty than normal.

it reminds me of a perfect lazy sunday,
where you get together with the right crowd and chill out on some good brewski's and blow,
preparing yourself for a lovely night out in town,
hiding behind sunglasses watching the world go by...

;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm 
Unfriended

jordanneke wrote:

What's wrong with this? sounds pretty decent to me, nice smooth music... perhaps it can use a tiny bit of distortion to give it a litte bit of that lo-fi vibe and perhaps a nice vocal and voila... you can take my money ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 pm 
Small Penis

Thanks for the feedback lads.

Zeno, I added a vocal. I hope it fits.

Hades, you never said if you liked it or not

Subsekt special

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:28 pm 
Interchangeable

of course I liked it FFS :D ;) ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:44 pm 
Small Penis

hades .... :D

Ok, this is bordering on epic cheese. No, it probably is epic cheese.

Finish?

Or is it just too cheesy and simple?

Subsekt special

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:28 pm 
Gnasher

jordan i like the first track you posted, nice lush sound! id finish that for sure.
second one is very cheesy idd, take that vox out :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:38 pm 
Gnasher

what do you think about this one:
https://soundcloud.com/over9000bpm/cthu ... x1/s-OTKJx

not so happy about the bass.. how does it sound on your systems?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:28 pm 
brown envelope

over9000 wrote:

I like the Idea, it's interesting, kinda oldschool, and introducing new elements in towards the end is cool (That vocal shot). So as far as the idea is concerned I dig. I also like the arrangement, though i think the second break is a bit too long, maybe cut it from a minute to 30 seconds.

As far as the low end, the issue i have is with the kick, it seems like it lacks weight and is really resonant. Maybe that's because the toms are too loud, or you've high passed the kick? Whatever it is, the low end isn't really pumping or thumping enough. If you fixed that issue you'd have a nice, birmingham style track.

https://soundcloud.com/thomastimusk/set ... ks/s-AZA08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 am 
Gnasher

sinesnsnares wrote:
over9000 wrote:

I like the Idea, it's interesting, kinda oldschool, and introducing new elements in towards the end is cool (That vocal shot). So as far as the idea is concerned I dig. I also like the arrangement, though i think the second break is a bit too long, maybe cut it from a minute to 30 seconds.

As far as the low end, the issue i have is with the kick, it seems like it lacks weight and is really resonant. Maybe that's because the toms are too loud, or you've high passed the kick? Whatever it is, the low end isn't really pumping or thumping enough. If you fixed that issue you'd have a nice, birmingham style track.

thx for that feedback!
hm yeah that kick is strange. i made it with that kick2 synth, your right about the resonance and the high pass. i thought id highpass it because theres the tombassline and a verb rumble on the kick. so theres much lowend quantity, but thats not the same as quality :D i think i have to make a whole new kick..
about the arrangement i like it like that, in this techno style its handy to have some tracks with long breaks, so you dont wear out the people when playing a set.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:26 pm 
Unfriended

jordanneke wrote:
Zeno, I added a vocal. I hope it fits.

yess it does the trick for me :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:15 pm 
brown envelope

over9000 wrote:
thx for that feedback!
hm yeah that kick is strange. i made it with that kick2 synth, your right about the resonance and the high pass. i thought id highpass it because theres the tombassline and a verb rumble on the kick. so theres much lowend quantity, but thats not the same as quality :D i think i have to make a whole new kick..
about the arrangement i like it like that, in this techno style its handy to have some tracks with long breaks, so you dont wear out the people when playing a set.

always happy to! and yes, arrangement is a pretty subjective thing, i probably shouldn't let my preferences creep into feedback :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:20 pm 
brown envelope

So I've been experimenting lately with parallel processing and resampling. This is one of the newer loops i came up with.. I might change the "lead" sounds though, if it sounds too sparse.

https://soundcloud.com/thomastimusk/bm2/s-UsmrH

Also, for some reason, every time i try and put in the soundcloud tags, it says i've provided an invalid url? is this cause everything is private?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 186  Next