Sub bass notes

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Sub bass notes

Post by dubdub »

I recently realized that my (sub) bass is basically always in F#0. It seems low enough but not too low. What do you guys like to use? Obviously it depends on the kick but to me it feels like it's much easier to pitch the kick around the bass than the other way around.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Sub bass notes

Post by Planar »

The 3/4 notes around F#0 tend to sound best to me as well. I don't stick to that one note though, I pick the one that best fits my track. And I usually key the kick first.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I suffer from a bad past as a indie/noise/whatever-pitchfork-liked-around-the-first-decade-of-the-2000s/guitarist, where when I wrote songs it would usually hum melodies, so the root would be in somewhere fitting for my voice - which is somewhere around a D1 (I find it hard to not sound like a fart below that, do you just make sure to have a lot of overtones in your soundsource or what?)

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

I try not to go below D# at 37hz. I like it lower but most sound systems (that I get to play on anyway) are attenuated below that. It's ok if one note in the bass line drops below but if the tonic is too low it can ruin it. I have been finding myself using E1 (41hz) a little more often too. 35-55hz is a pretty good range for the fundamental. Below that it doesn't always have the same impact and above that it starts to sound a little thin. I wish that lowest octave of 20-40hz was more pronounced on most systems but it seems like a lot of sound engineers treat that range like speaker-damaging mud. I like to sound check with deep sine waves to see how much I can pitch stuff down, and unless they let me tweak the system it rarely gets down to 30hz.
Last edited by terly on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Double post, not sure how to delete this on my phone

arkos

Post by arkos »

Like I've said before G hits the spot :D

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Amøbe wrote:I find it hard to not sound like a fart below that, do you just make sure to have a lot of overtones in your soundsource or what?
Overtones help, of course, but I think having the right envelope and the filter cutoff and resonance right is the important thing. 45-65hz as the cutoff seem to work for me right now.
terly wrote:I try not to go below D# at 37hz. I like it lower but most sound systems (that I get to play on anyway) are attenuated below that. It's ok if one note in the bass line drops below but if the tonic is too low it can ruin it. I have been finding myself using E1 (41hz) a little more often too. 35-55hz is a pretty good range for the fundamental. Below that it doesn't always have the same impact and above that it starts to sound a little thin. I wish that lowest octave of 20-40hz was more pronounced on most systems but it seems like a lot of sound engineers treat that range like speaker-damaging mud. I like to sound check with deep sine waves to see how much I can pitch stuff down, and unless they let me tweak the system it rarely gets down to 30hz.
I like really low bass aswell, although I think only few club system can really accurately put out <40hz. I remember someone, I think it was Rodhad, talking about how even on the Berghain system the kicks on some DVS1 tracks just get swallowed because they're sitting at like 35hz.
arkos wrote:Like I've said before G hits the spot :D
:D

lol

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Working with toms a bit for sub bass right now, they seem a bit more flexible in regards of pitching. I've also noticed that the amount of saturation you dial in with something like SDRR drastically effects where the harmonics are, ie. where the bass actually sits.

L8Night
Get a fucking avatar

Post by L8Night »

^^^ is there any harmonics in that 30-60hz range though?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Well, the first harmonic for 30hz would be at 60hz, the second at 90hz, 120, 150 etc
SDRR can emphasise odd or even harmonics, it doesn`t change them it only emphasises or adds them.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Lost to the Void wrote:SDRR can emphasise odd or even harmonics, it doesn`t change them it only emphasises or adds them.
A slightly different beast, but I'm enjoying the VSM-3 a lot lately. I would never buy this at $299 as a not so wealthy hobbyist, but got it at 30-ish when it was on sale+voucher. For me it's a game changer. Brute or subtle, it does nice things to my sounds.

My ear seams to enjoy E0 a lot, too.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

borg wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:SDRR can emphasise odd or even harmonics, it doesn`t change them it only emphasises or adds them.
A slightly different beast, but I'm enjoying the VSM-3 a lot lately. I would never buy this at $299 as a not so wealthy hobbyist, but got it at 30-ish when it was on sale+voucher. For me it's a game changer. Brute or subtle, it does nice things to my sounds.

My ear seams to enjoy E0 a lot, too.
Never tried it, how would you compare it to SDRR?

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

terly wrote:I try not to go below D# at 37hz. I like it lower but most sound systems (that I get to play on anyway) are attenuated below that. It's ok if one note in the bass line drops below but if the tonic is too low it can ruin it. I have been finding myself using E1 (41hz) a little more often too. 35-55hz is a pretty good range for the fundamental. Below that it doesn't always have the same impact and above that it starts to sound a little thin. I wish that lowest octave of 20-40hz was more pronounced on most systems but it seems like a lot of sound engineers treat that range like speaker-damaging mud. I like to sound check with deep sine waves to see how much I can pitch stuff down, and unless they let me tweak the system it rarely gets down to 30hz.
Aren't we working on the brink of what the human ear is capable of hearing? I just wonder whether we hear the actual tones in this frequency area? (I don't know very much about this topic)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Human auditory range goes down on average to 20hz ish.
Of course once we get down to 35hz we begin to feel the sound as much as hear it.
Techno without the gut rumble on a soundsystem just isn't proper techno.
Not to me anyway.
Full range or go away.

It is with good reason seminal UK dubstep label named itself Chestplate Records.
New Shit

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Amøbe wrote:
Aren't we working on the brink of what the human ear is capable of hearing? I just wonder whether we hear the actual tones in this frequency area? (I don't know very much about this topic)
I think people respond differently to low bass but I can hear 30hz very clearly where other people say they can only feel it.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

There's some research which suggests that those super low frequencies are not detected by our ears as sounds at all, but picked up in some other way (as vibration)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote: Techno without the gut rumble on a soundsystem just isn't proper techno.
Isn't the "gut rumble" on most soundsystems around or even above 50hz?

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Lost to the Void wrote:Human auditory range goes down on average to 20hz ish.
Of course once we get down to 35hz we begin to feel the sound as much as hear it.
Techno without the gut rumble on a soundsystem just isn't proper techno.
Not to me anyway.
Full range or go away.

It is with good reason seminal UK dubstep label named itself Chestplate Records.
Some great tunes on Chestplate, i own a few bits on vinyl.
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Yea, one would assume the gut rumble to be a bit higher than 30hz, i high passed a reverb kick rumble sub to about 45 hz the other day ..thought i did a good thing..
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

45hz!!!! Where are you people getting your information.

I've noticed over the last 3-6 months, only in techno, that a lot of the stuff i get sent to master has been cut waaaay too high. Like 40-50hz. And I end up having to fill in down there if possible.

I've been wondering if it's either that people have all these small nearfields and just can't hear the low end and are cutting it, or some YouTube video has gone round that is full of bad info.

All the sexy stuff is 25-60hz. Technically sub bass starts at 60hz.
If you cut high you are going to take away that deep rumble in the club.
Decent soundsystems get down to around 30hz.

Have kids forgotten what bass is?
New Shit