How to create a concept EP and define your sound?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
antonsson
fancy woman
How to create a concept EP and define your sound?

Post by antonsson »

Hey everybody,

I need some help creating my EP, which, by the way, is going to be my first EP. By now I have done a few tracks, but, they all sound different. I mean, it's techno, but, one is more house than the other, another one leans more towards dark techno, as the third one is more like acid/industrial. I guess I just like all kind of music, haha.

But, as this will be my first EP, I want a defined sound, something for people to connect with my name. Do anyone of you have any ideas or reflecting thoughts on how I can compose an EP with a few tracks sounding similar to one another, like they belong on the same cut? Is there anyone who struggled with the same problem, not quite being able to stick with just 'one sound'?

Thankful for any thoughts, ideas and tips!

/Anton

PERIAL
Chernobyl
Re: How to create a concept EP and define your sound?

Post by PERIAL »

I have the same problem, but... I just don't care. it still fits in some way at the end :-)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

If you can't get thematic consistency in your work and you want to. You are probably not ready to release that kind of ep.

It's like a writer. It takes time to find your voice. But no one can give you that voice.

It's the same with music.
You can restrict yourself to specific effects and instruments or whatever. But that's not really it. You need to find your voice. Or you need to define a concept that you can believe in, set a manifesto for that concept and then stick to it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I've always worried about this but then from advice on here and also now more experience I've managed to achieve more cohesion than I ever imagined I would.

One thing that I've found helpful is make a song, get it to where you like it, and then erase all the sequencing and start a new one with the same sounds. You'll end up not using some sounds and also adding a few more, but there will be enough pieces in common--and processed similarly--that it will have the kind of cohesiveness bands get just by virtue of using the same instruments, pedals, etc. It's also just a good exercise, I find.

Another thing I do in Logic (but really you can do this in any DAW) is saving channel strips/signal chains. Then even if you are using two different clap sounds, they are processed similarly--which also adds cohesion. [you likely need to tweak settings, but still.]

Final thing is concept...if you want a really cohesive EP, then it helps to have a thematic concept that inspires every track. It doesn't have to be in your face, but rather in your head. Like, I don't know...space travel or abandoned factories or something.

I'm sure the more experienced producers on here have many other ideas about this, but these are some that work for me.

Dolorum
Poo Fingers

Post by Dolorum »

With my (limited) experience on the matter, it really depends on the ability for you to exact your specific tastes on music consistently.

If you find that your taste isn't so defined as to what sounds you like making, or what it is that you particularly want to accomplish with your sound, then it's best to spend more time experimenting and learning.

Thies
Pig

Post by Thies »

I can totally relate to your "problem". I think key is to find a sound "aesthetic" that you like. Not just a genre style. That way you won't be limited to a style of music and your stuff still sounds like you.
At least that is what I am aiming at the moment. To achieve it a lot of experimenting is necessary and also find the parameters that define those aesthetics. I ve been doing that for about 6 months now and I am still not where I want to be, but it gets better and better. So I guess patience is kinda important to get there, but as long as there is progress and it's fun I don't mind doing it.

antonsson
fancy woman

Post by antonsson »

Reading your replies I'm getting the feeling that some diversity is nothing out of the ordinary (what a relief!).

You are too bringing up a good point @lostinthevoid - I never compared a music producer to a writer, but ya, i guess they share a great deal, like imagining their ideal reader, or asking themselves if they would ever read their own writing.

It seems like non of you are actually restricting yourself to a certain genre or style (another relief), but still achieving consistency (@Perial too!) by composing what seems aesthetic or what comes naturally (through experience then).

@The_G, thank you for your tips, I will try them! Not using Logic, but I’m a fan of templates and audio effect racks, guess the principles are the same.

I’ll go on experimenting keeping the tracks coming. After all, I DO enjoy the process! Thanks for sharing your ideas! I’ll keep you updated on the EP ; )

/Anton

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Dolorum wrote:If you find that your taste isn't so defined as to what sounds you like making, or what it is that you particularly want to accomplish with your sound, then it's best to spend more time experimenting and learning.

I really agree with this, I think that rinse and repeat until you become proficient and learnt as much as you can about the various aspects of music production, once you have this understanding its easier to deviate and 'find your sound' so to speak. Or alternatively create a concept founded on limitation

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

A technique is to translate something into music. It might be an article you found interesting or a picture you like or the flavor of your breakfast etc.. The reason why this can work is that the task is impossible but during your attempts you will start to build up a vocabulary that sort of crystallizes into a language. I've had several friends (and also myself included... I have often used landscape photos or artworks etc.) and quite quickly a coherence begin to appear. And this is a coherence which doesn't have to be redundant.

Somebody who have been successful with this - in my opinion - was ostgut ton (especially their first five years or so). In the beginning it was only the residents of Berghain that sent music out on the label, and I think it's probably because they were so much in that club's enviro that for a few years you could really talk about an ostgut sound... and then the entire scene went bergainarama, but that's not important here.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Amøbe wrote:Somebody who have been successful with this - in my opinion - was ostgut ton (especially their first five years or so). In the beginning it was only the residents of Berghain that sent music out on the label, and I think it's probably because they were so much in that club's enviro that for a few years you could really talk about an ostgut sound... and then the entire scene went bergainarama, but that's not important here.
I would disagree, the first 50 catalogue numbers are all over the place stylistically.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

dubdub wrote:
Amøbe wrote:
I would disagree, the first 50 catalogue numbers are all over the place stylistically.
As I said coherence isn't the same as redundancy.

I think there was a very red line in those releases. But a red line shouldn't sound like you're trying to copy yourself or your label mates.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

I struggle with this, but I also think it's better than all your tracks sounding the same.

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

I'd worry more if I was making stuff that all sounded samey, so it's not a bad thing to be diverse, the most enjoyable part of making music for me is just following a groove and coming up with different stuff.

But if you want to stay on the path you intended then have a track in the ball park of what you want to make and keep referencing it, if you start going off on a tangent and move too far away from what was intended, give the reference track another listen and delete stuff that doesn't tie in and make more elements that do.

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Lost to the Void wrote:If you can't get thematic consistency in your work and you want to. You are probably not ready to release that kind of ep.

It's like a writer. It takes time to find your voice. But no one can give you that voice.

It's the same with music.
You can restrict yourself to specific effects and instruments or whatever. But that's not really it. You need to find your voice. Or you need to define a concept that you can believe in, set a manifesto for that concept and then stick to it.
This. It takes time, and it sounds like you just need more. Try not to sweat it and just enjoy the process.

antonsson
fancy woman

Post by antonsson »

@Terly & @CubikMass, you guys do bring up a very good point.... I too recognise the joy of coming up with stuff as I go along without keeping within a framework.
- Which I will keep on doing,
@td3I, thanks for your input!

As a side note, I have a DJ gig coming up this Saturday, and I get to play whatever I want during the prime time of the party. I've spent the last two days collecting music, constantly thinking about wither I would actually want to play the track and how it would be perceived on the dance floor. Reflecting on this I can see how DJing would be an important part of being a producer because the process of choosing songs to play kind of defines that taste of music that seems so important when creating your own music.

Mimui
beast

Post by Mimui »

I ' m working on an EP aswell and i tought I ' d share how I did this with you :)

first of, I made a track wich I liked.
Then, when it was produces, but not mixed or so, I saved it to a map called "name EP here"
and took the original production file, and deleted all midi but kept all tracks.
save this as default template for ableton.

produce 5 - ish tracks with that template.
and use about the same amount of tracks with those instruments
(change em out but use your ears to match the mood.

I did it with harmonic mixing key. sp the follow up song is harmonicly correct.

when you are done with those tracks;

Put em all in 1 projekt file.

Now mix em all in that 1 projekt file trough the same busses.

now you can choose to master em together or individual.

That 's how I did it. worked for me.
They all have the same vibe becouse i always left traces of sounds of the other songs in em.
and they are mixed at the same rms levels.

Don 't take this as how u should do it tough.
It 's how I do it.

antonsson
fancy woman

Post by antonsson »

Mimui wrote:I ' m working on an EP aswell and i tought I ' d share how I did this with you :)

first of, I made a track wich I liked.
Then, when it was produces, but not mixed or so, I saved it to a map called "name EP here"
and took the original production file, and deleted all midi but kept all tracks.
save this as default template for ableton.

produce 5 - ish tracks with that template.
and use about the same amount of tracks with those instruments
(change em out but use your ears to match the mood.

I did it with harmonic mixing key. sp the follow up song is harmonicly correct.

when you are done with those tracks;

Put em all in 1 projekt file.

Now mix em all in that 1 projekt file trough the same busses.

now you can choose to master em together or individual.

That 's how I did it. worked for me.
They all have the same vibe becouse i always left traces of sounds of the other songs in em.
and they are mixed at the same rms levels.

Don 't take this as how u should do it tough.
It 's how I do it.
Hey! Thanks for your reply :) I like that idea, especially because it's easy to feel a bit overwhelmed at first when opening up a blank session, and I can see how some tracks or sounds to begin with would make it easier to gain that first momentum and get started on song writing.

I'd love to hear your EP! Let me know when it's ready!

/Anton

seventh serpent
Poo Fingers

Post by seventh serpent »

i think that you have to listen to a lot of techno music and choose a line-label-artists that could ispire you and study how they build the groove and the arrangement
then you have to recreate it with your personal ideas and innovation
and you have to choose some instruments that you like the sound and use them for the ep
then of course you have to develop your style with hours of work and musical ideas