How is Ableton Push from a purely production point of view?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
PixelKind
who is it?
Re: How is Ableton Push from a purely production point of vi

Post by PixelKind »

StacieAnne wrote:
borg wrote:what do you mean with 'trigger tracks in arrange view'? you can trigger clips in session view, and record your jam in/to arrange. the whole recording process needs some thinking/practice, as it can get pretty confusing (automation recording, what with conflicts between clip envelopes and arrangement automation, overdub,...).

did you check BTA (back to arrangement)? session actions always overrule arrangement
I meant in session view to be written into arrange view? Does that make sense? Is it even possible? I am very excited by the idea it is.
Do the clips not get triggered or do they get triggered but not recorded in the arrangement view?

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Not triggered at all. I'll take another look tomorrow but it would be super great to get one track finished in Ableton. It feels so much quick than Logic.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

Here is the section of the manual about recording clips triggered in session view into the arrangement view. Maybe that helps

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/sessi ... rrangement

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Lost to the Void wrote:Do any of you use clip triggering/follow actions?
I use them (rarely) as a sound design tool. Copy a loop to several clips and set the start point to different places, then set a follow action to play them randomly in legato mode. That kind of thing. Don't really see the point of them unless its for generative stuff.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

It needed to be on Toggle, not Trigger :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Planar wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Do any of you use clip triggering/follow actions?
I use them (rarely) as a sound design tool. Copy a loop to several clips and set the start point to different places, then set a follow action to play them randomly in legato mode. That kind of thing. Don't really see the point of them unless its for generative stuff.

Yeah that's what I use them for.
Great for jungle breaks too, take a break, make multiple versions and set loop points on all the separate elements then have random and random other set on the clips and instant awesome constantly shifting breaks.
Great for melodic variations too as you can set percentage chances, have melodies with subtle changes and then use follow actions to trigger them randomly with the frequency you decide.
Awesome for creating subtle movement and humanism in repetitive tracks.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I want push 2 so bad but I need to get some better headphones and speakers first, by the time I get those Push 3 will probably be out anyway.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I'm glad I didn't had to spend money on Push 2 (I was beta testing). After the usual "nice new toy, I HAVE to play around with it" honeymoon it's collecting dust.

But the blinky screen looks so nice that I really have a hard time to sell the damn thing to get me some eurocrack starting funds.

...or some good coke and a hooker...
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Mabye you haven't spend enough time getting used to the workflow though, if I am to believe the youtube reviews it's the best thing since sliced bread. At the same time I feel like I honestly don't need to buy any new gear atm and probably should work on increasing the quality of my tracks before investing in some gear.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

TimBuys wrote:Mabye you haven't spend enough time getting used to the workflow though, if I am to believe the youtube reviews it's the best thing since sliced bread. At the same time I feel like I honestly don't need to buy any new gear atm and probably should work on increasing the quality of my tracks before investing in some gear.
Oh, believe me when i say that i had a decent time trying it all. But i see no advantage when i have to dial 3 knobs for a sub folder instead of 3 mouse clicks and then drag and drop the sample. Also i don't slice beats and all that ish. the step sequencer is unintuitive to me as well.

programming softsynths is still horrible as they have so many parameters but you only can see 8 of them on the screen and it's an endless browsing of parameters with complex instruments or effects. In fact, P2 slows down my workflow instead of speeding it up. It just doesn't suit my workflow.

For others it might be the holy grail, for me it's gimmicky. But i never was a controller guy. For automating stuff on the fly any controller with knobs will do fine for me.

I can totally see this thing is the shit for making Hip-Hop/Downbeat sample based stuff though. And it's well build, no doubt. It's not a bad piece of gear, it's just not for me.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

It's defenitely good to hear these opinions as well because what you are saying now are exact thoughts I had aswell. Sometimes the time you have to invest in learning new gear is better spend making music aswell.

Nicetry
tense

Post by Nicetry »

sold my Push today. Still using only mouse + keyboard