Subsekt challange, operator only track.

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
pimo
rescued
Subsekt challange, operator only track.

Post by pimo »

Thought i would do this as an exercise for myself, but it would be fun if anyone else wants to join?

The challenge is to build a loop/track or whatever, using only ableton operator. You can use as many instances as you want but no further processing. If you dont have operator, then fm8 or something similar.

Opnå
non reader
Re: Subsekt challange, operator only track.

Post by Opnå »

Haha I've done this myself before. Results weren't spectacular (and therefore deleted). Learning to program drums from scratch was fun though!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I made a small loop with about 4 or 5 operators the other night after reading this. Was on headphones. Only listened to it on monitors last night & sounded much much better than I expected.

Kick wasn't too bad. Kinda turned into an almost slight gabba, deep & fuzzy thump. Might do something with it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Críoch wrote:I made a small loop with about 4 or 5 operators the other night after reading this. Was on headphones. Only listened to it on monitors last night & sounded much much better than I expected.

Kick wasn't too bad. Kinda turned into an almost slight gabby, deep & fuzzy thump. Might do something with it.
post a work in progress clip then :D
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

pimo
rescued

Post by pimo »

Críoch wrote:I made a small loop with about 4 or 5 operators the other night after reading this. Was on headphones. Only listened to it on monitors last night & sounded much much better than I expected.

Kick wasn't too bad. Kinda turned into an almost slight gabba, deep & fuzzy thump. Might do something with it.

I also made a drumloop with kick, bass, snare and hats the other night, turned out way better than expected! And i learned the shaper and filter drive can do some cool stuff + i discovered the envelope sync.

Will need to do some more experimenting before i can post anything, and it will probibly sound shit, but im learning alot :)

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Same as that.
Was after watching the clip of Robert Henke replicating 808 sounds that someone posted on here.
Kinda cool the way he broke the snare down.
Operator (and fm synthesis in general) is fun and frustrating and fun and annoying and fun!

Edit: tried searching the forum but no joy. It's this one...

youtu.be/rfeY0_k1ctk

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

surface wrote:Same as that.
Was after watching the clip of Robert Henke replicating 808 sounds that someone posted on here.
Operator (and fm synthesis in general) is fun and frustrating and fun and annoying and fun!

youtu.be/rfeY0_k1ctk

Yep, operator is my best synth, hell i just use operator it's my only synth but like you say its really really fun but so frustrating haha
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Actually, thinking about this challenge is kinda stirring up a few off-the-wall ideas, not typical 'structured' techno but something a bit more...unusual or, em, unusable.
That's my Saturday sorted! .

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

How about for a bassline you take a sine wave and sync an lfo to the pitch, say quarters.
Then take an operator and sync an lfo to the amplitude, but with 5/8 timing?
Then sync a low pass filter to let some of the modulation through at regular timing, say sixteenths? Worth playing around with ..

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Unusual, unusable or just out and out unstable! ..

Dolorum
Poo Fingers

Post by Dolorum »

Well, that was fun. Made this in about an hour. Wasn't sure if I was allowed to use EQing or Compression or whatever, so it's basically just a bunch of instances of operator, no post processing whatsoever.

Not great but what can you do, I missed my reverb haha.

https://soundcloud.com/dolorum/operator/s-vyynb

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Dolorum wrote:Well, that was fun. Made this in about an hour. Wasn't sure if I was allowed to use EQing or Compression or whatever, so it's basically just a bunch of instances of operator, no post processing whatsoever.

That's nice, man. Reminds me of some polygon window stuff ..

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Oh fuck not using reverbs & stuff lol

Yeah.. good work on that track too - Some real nice sounds.

Did you use different operator set-ups in those patches, for different sounds.. or did you stick to one or 2 routings that you were familiar with?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Dolorum
Poo Fingers

Post by Dolorum »

Críoch wrote:Oh fuck not using reverbs & stuff lol

Yeah.. good work on that track too - Some real nice sounds.

Did you use different operator set-ups in those patches, for different sounds.. or did you stick to one or 2 routings that you were familiar with?
I use whatever routing necessary to get the sound I want. I think here I maybe used the same one twice, rest are different.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Haha.. ok, cool :mrgreen:

It's a nice synth. Sometimes I think it's a bit limited, in that it's got only one lfo.. but you can add so much movement with certain algos, getting ops to mod other ops. Shifting phase.

Routing the lfo to single ops & other destinations ; the amount affecting the ops, filter or otherwise has a separate mix setting, can utterly transform a sound. It's got more than enough.. though I find I have to fight with it from time to time just to get the right tone.. either to fix it being too bright or dull. It's never straightforward.. but i love it.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Yep, would be great if there was more than one lfo.
Forgot about that minor detail but like you say, you can treat another operator as an lfo.
I find that subtlety is the main thing more often than not ..

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

surface wrote:Same as that.

youtu.be/rfeY0_k1ctk
Love that tutorial, i had a go at this challenge, will post results at some point..
Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Dolorum wrote:Well, that was fun. Made this in about an hour. Wasn't sure if I was allowed to use EQing or Compression or whatever, so it's basically just a bunch of instances of operator, no post processing whatsoever.

Man, I#m seriously impressed.

Dolorum
Poo Fingers

Post by Dolorum »

surface wrote:Yep, would be great if there was more than one lfo.
Forgot about that minor detail but like you say, you can treat another operator as an lfo.
I find that subtlety is the main thing more often than not ..
When I find myself needing more LFOs, I use the M4L MIDI LFO. Pretty good. I find there's an annoying bug with it though, you need to freeze the tracks before you export, otherwise the synth won't work lol.