Ableton Loop 2017

Listings for Clubs // Radio // Live Streaming
slowpilgrim
broke
Ableton Loop 2017

Post by slowpilgrim »

Hey all,

I've recently been given the opportunity to purchase a ticket to Loop. In theory it seems like a worthwhile event, interesting ideas, cool talks and workshops etc. Obviously it's quite expensive (250EUR + flights from UK, hostel etc) for just a weekend, and my experience of Ableton events and meetups so far has been in the ballpark of "Generic Events for Generic Producers (- Aureliano)". They've basically been circle-jerks for guys with Haircuts, full of pseudo-philosophical musings on how to make chart toppers that sound like X or Y.

Despite this, the event has gotten good press in previous years and there are some experimental acts on the bill. Workshops include DIY instrument building, supercollider programming etc - useful and interesting shit.

I guess my question is, has anyone been and was there enough interesting content to make it good value? Like everyone on here, I'm predominantly interested in experimental music and techniques, so don't really want to sit through '5 tips for better basslines' or 'a beginner's guide to polyrhythms'.

I ask because Ableton market it as a really creative and progressive event, but maybe I'm stupid to think that something like this could really cater to the underground. There are plenty of other events which already do.

Thanks in advance~

rsntr
Jan : )
Re: Ableton Loop 2017

Post by rsntr »

I also applied for a ticket about 2 months ago or so and got the opportunity to purchase one. Apparently they don't sell that well when people can still buy them long after the first deadline they announced ended...

Anyway, I decided not to get the ticket since I thought it's just too expensive. I didn't get too excited about any of the topics. Nothing I can't teach myself by reading stuff and watch tutorials. I figured it could be a nice networking event but it's just too expenive for that. Sorry, I can't give any further insight.

slowpilgrim
broke

Post by slowpilgrim »

Yeah, their policy of full refunds up to 30 days prior to the event is a bit odd, I guess most people bought a ticket without fully intending to go. It's a bit of a risk for them from an organiser's perspective, but given that they announce the programme quite late I can understand that people might not buy tickets otherwise.

I decided to buy a ticket anyway as there is enough content which is aligned with my interests at the moment. I'm sure I'll get a lot out of it, and it's a good excuse to go visit Berlin. Whether it's worth the ticket price, I'm not sure, but I haven't really gone away this year so whatever...

rsntr

Post by rsntr »

Actually, considering how much people from abroad have to pay for travel and accommodation it seems like a bargain that I could go there just by bike. Anyway, the purchase opportunity is gone now. Maybe next year.

slowpilgrim
broke

Post by slowpilgrim »

If you're serious about going, try Eventbrite as there has been another release of tickets in the last week or so. Failing that, if you e-mail them they might be able to sort you out.

rsntr

Post by rsntr »

Just realised I have a gig that friday. Glad I didn't get a ticket :)

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I thought it looked interesting but then I saw the price, fucking hell. It's really weird, the program is aimed at young, cutting edge producers trying to break through but they're too fucking broke to pay 250e for a ticket!

rsntr

Post by rsntr »

It's a lot of money indeed! Even 350€ if you wanted to participate in one of the smaller studio sessions (which are probably booked out by now). I suppose the speakers charge a decent fee, otherwise I can't imagine that renting out the location alone is that expensive.