ADHD

General Chat // Music Discussion
juodas
Indirection
ADHD

Post by juodas »

Sup!

Heh, not a surprise for me, but i felt that something isn't right for a long time,a lot of unfinished projects, I couldn't finish a track, it was hard to make my self to make some tunes as well, missed a lot of deadlines this year, which I end up with no releases at all, hopefully will get one, it seems like a was running around the circles without knowing a root cause, I knew it deep inside however it was hard to admit that i'm different from a normal people, which i felt a lot of grudge towards myself that i can't keep the same phase as other producers do, it was a really messy journey, a lot of drugs and alcohol especially when i was in UK, and a victim mentality stuff why me and so on....
So recently i went to psychiatrist and i done an adhd test, and guess what. yup. here it's. Thinking about taking some meds, like concerta, ritalin or what ever you wan't to call it(legal speed). I red some threads at reddit and facebook groups about this issue, and there's a mixed opinions about this, some say its worth, some say you're losing your soul, or music you're making doesn't have any feel to it(emotions or wht).
So i'm asking you guys, do you know any fellow producers, dj, mix engineers and so on with same neurotypical disorder and how they dealt with it or viceversa who made it in the scene(i'm not talking about the scene scene) but at least they're been recognized locally and they're at least making some money to support they hobbies and other expenses. I'm still having a mixed opinions about it, but I thinking it's the only way to me to move forward if i want to continue this musical journey. any opinions and stories are appreciated as usual :? :D
Peace!

Amøbe
Moderate
Re: ADHD

Post by Amøbe »

I don't know of any producers - but two of my friends just got diagnosed with it in the last six months, and they both managed to finish uni with top grades (so I know, that some can make that work).

As far as meds go, I am not going to tell you whether or not to take them, but I do know that the different types of meds act quite differently. For instance my nephew, who has ADHD was medicated a few years ago with something, and he reacted crazy negatively to that! lost all sense of joy and I think he actually got a minor depression. Now he's trying some different meds, and it is a completely different story! He still has the same personality, but he find it so much easier to be comfortable in situations he otherwise struggles with (sitting down in school being a major one).

I think the best approach is just to accept that you are the way you are, and now you know more about yourself. How you'll move forward with that knowledge is up to you :)

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Amøbe wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:37 pm
I don't know of any producers - but two of my friends just got diagnosed with it in the last six months, and they both managed to finish uni with top grades (so I know, that some can make that work).

As far as meds go, I am not going to tell you whether or not to take them, but I do know that the different types of meds act quite differently. For instance my nephew, who has ADHD was medicated a few years ago with something, and he reacted crazy negatively to that! lost all sense of joy and I think he actually got a minor depression. Now he's trying some different meds, and it is a completely different story! He still has the same personality, but he find it so much easier to be comfortable in situations he otherwise struggles with (sitting down in school being a major one).

I think the best approach is just to accept that you are the way you are, and now you know more about yourself. How you'll move forward with that knowledge is up to you :)
I accepted that, thanks to hinduism a lot tbh, i put a lot of hours in a production and it's a struggle between two things, staying sober and struggle with a life situations or take aaction and follow my dream.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

juodas wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:51 pm
Amøbe wrote:
I accepted that, thanks to hinduism a lot tbh, i put a lot of hours in a production and it's a struggle between two things, staying sober and struggle with a life situations or take aaction and follow my dream.
well I think you make amazing music - can you follow that, while staying sober? Seems like the best of both worlds :)

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Amøbe wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:59 pm
juodas wrote:
Amøbe wrote:
well I think you make amazing music - can you follow that, while staying sober? Seems like the best of both worlds :)
the problem finishing projects and getting to work, and the job i'm in it's good and i have a lot of time, however i rarely have a productive day when i'm off, yeah it's a hard decision for me

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

juodas wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:09 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:59 pm
juodas wrote:

the problem finishing projects and getting to work, and the job i'm in it's good and i have a lot of time, however i rarely have a productive day when i'm off, yeah it's a hard decision for me
Ah yeah - well that's a balance that's not easy

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Amøbe wrote:
. For instance my nephew, who has ADHD was medicated a few years ago with something, and he reacted crazy negatively to that! lost all sense of joy and I think he actually got a minor depression. Now he's trying some different meds, and it is a completely different story! He still has the same personality,
Which kind of meds if I might ask? I am surprised there's such a large difference as ADHD meds are basically Amphetamines, right?

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:58 am
Amøbe wrote:
. For instance my nephew, who has ADHD was medicated a few years ago with something, and he reacted crazy negatively to that! lost all sense of joy and I think he actually got a minor depression. Now he's trying some different meds, and it is a completely different story! He still has the same personality,
Which kind of meds if I might ask? I am surprised there's such a large difference as ADHD meds are basically Amphetamines, right?
I don't know what brand they are, but his doctor said that they do work a bit differently across brands (which I guess means that while they are all a type of amphetamines they are different types?) - I have some other friends who have told similar stories about reacting badly to some brands and really well with others

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Yep it's amphetamines or methamphetamines, and yep thats strange that other brands act differently, some has a slower release and other with a quicker, it's depends from a person, one line of speed and i'm good for 2 days, :lol:

between stars
Onions

Post by between stars »

There are a few different types of ADHD meds, not all of them are stimulants. There’s an ADHD episode of the ‘Ologies’ podcast that lays out ADHD causes, symptoms and treatments more clearly than I’ve ever heard before, worth a listen.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

This is rather prescient.
My missus has been getting more and more involved in neurodiversity as part of her job, and after a friend of mine talked about his diagnosis my missus spoke up, she said she had wanted to talk about it to me for a while. She basically said she thought for a while now that I had ADHD. I took some tests she passed to me, and I scored very high for ADHD traits. So I am booking in for an assessment via her health insurance.
There`s more wrong with me than just that, I`m as weird as they come, but going through all the literature she gave me, ADHD does explain some of my behaviours and traits. I certainly won`t be taking any phets, as I have never got on with them, they send my anxiety through the roof.
But I have been self medicating with cannabis. I decided to take an extended period away from it to see how I am (not really thinking ADHD may be a factor), and the missus said she has noticed me exhibiting way more ADHD type traits for the last 2 months, which I have noticed myself. I can`t turn my brain off, and even my regular meditation has become super difficult to maintain.

So yeah, who knows where this will lead, there` s lot of crazy in me.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:31 pm
This is rather prescient.
My missus has been getting more and more involved in neurodiversity as part of her job, and after a friend of mine talked about his diagnosis my missus spoke up, she said she had wanted to talk about it to me for a while. She basically said she thought for a while now that I had ADHD. I took some tests she passed to me, and I scored very high for ADHD traits. So I am booking in for an assessment via her health insurance.
There`s more wrong with me than just that, I`m as weird as they come, but going through all the literature she gave me, ADHD does explain some of my behaviours and traits. I certainly won`t be taking any phets, as I have never got on with them, they send my anxiety through the roof.
But I have been self medicating with cannabis. I decided to take an extended period away from it to see how I am (not really thinking ADHD may be a factor), and the missus said she has noticed me exhibiting way more ADHD type traits for the last 2 months, which I have noticed myself. I can`t turn my brain off, and even my regular meditation has become super difficult to maintain.

So yeah, who knows where this will lead, there` s lot of crazy in me.
Hope you're all right! I don't think ADHD is all that uncommon in the creative field and maybe even people on this forum (forum/debates in general I would say). I'm pretty I've got some kind of undiagnosed ADD as well. Pretty interesting you had used cannabis as self-medication as it basically should be the opposite effect of normal ADHD meds (Ritalin etc/see upthread). I am quite way of med use for very undefined diagnoses such as ADHD, not that I have had any solution though. As far as I see if ADHD does not interfer with ones private/family life, but mostly in ones professional/educational life it is the latter that should change (easier said than done of course).

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The prescription of uppers for Adhd is very much an American thing we have inherited via big pharma.
Plenty in the neuro field disagree with it, especially as a one size fits all treatment.

I can only speak from personal experience but any kind of upper isn't good for me. I had to stop gigging partly due to anxiety, and I've never gotten on with uppers even back in my most hedonistic rave years I avoided them.

Cannabis helps me focus, quiets the 24hour carnival of chaos in my head, helps me with lateral thinking and creativity.

I've been off it for 2 months and I'm a nightmare person. No patience, no focus, tolerance for people is low, brain is a carnival of chaos, insomnia, my introversion has gotten worse, anxiety is worse. My normally very long fuse has gotten shorter, and I don't have an outlet I can fire it at, so I've come close to going full red mist at people a few times. When I was doing raves and doing doors I had an outlet. I Can barely meditate, which is something that is a intrinsic part of my life.

I guess I just naturally found the right meds for me.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

My gf works with people who struggle with mental health and its insane how good people are with finding their own medicine.

There is this lady in her 50s who uses hard drugs daily, and a doctor admitted to her that he would have prescribed her her own mix instead of the "correct" pharma stuff, it just works for her much better. She lives pretty "normal" life, against all odds, she should be a plant in some institution according to most diagnoses she received during her life.
My friend was struggling for a few years with his mental health, he found a group of friends and they eat some ecstasy together every now and then. He totally transformed for the better. Keep in mind that I am not advocating for drug usage (those are just random examples they don't apply universally), especially if you have problems with mental health, get help from professionals...

In my own case I was self medicating with weed a lot for good 5-7 years, then I tried to get rid of this addiction completely as I thought that a lot of anxiety and apathy stemmed from it. Guess what: they did not, things got worse of course. Now I just go overboard with weed every time I get my hands on it because I miss it so much... I think I blamed weed subconsciously for fucking my life up, as I had good cards in my hand a few years back for a handful of interesting things I wanted to do and none of them worked out. But its so easy to blame some stupid plant and its easy to take it out on yourself for things not working out the way you want them to, get caught in self hate feedback loops that slowly eat away everything you like to do, and then you see no point in doing anything... Sad thing is that my 18 year old self would be absolutely blown away if I would know what kind of music I can make now, what kind of books I am able to understand a little, and what a cool gf I have... Its a journey haha.
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.