Hardware recommandations - multifx and compressor

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
2latuile
hmmmmmm...
Hardware recommandations - multifx and compressor

Post by 2latuile »

Hello you happy taxpayers

I use a hybrid workflow (compose / jam with hardware, multitrack in the daw then edit and mix) and it makes it a bit cumbersome when wanting to use my DAW's plugins for sound design, so I'm looking for a hardware multifx (or a couple of them) and possibly a compressor (with a sidechain !!!) too. Those will be used mainly for sound mangling and whatnots so they don't need to be high-end $$$$$$, just better than the poor joke that is my mixer's builtin FX (supposed to be Lexicon, but still pretty useless). New stuff or things easily available second-hand, doesn't matter as long as they are not overly expensive and still do the job.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions 8-)
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.

Ben Kohonays
Obsessed
Re: Hardware recommandations - multifx and compressor

Post by Ben Kohonays »

I used to have a Lexicon MPX500 multi which was pretty good for the price, I particularly liked the delays on it. Has midi so can be synced quite easily. The model up from it, the MPX1, can be had for reasonable money these days. Check the encoders are OK before buying.

The Digitech TSR models seem to be a hidden bargain these days. I remember reading up on them years ago and liking what I had read, but they were still quite expensive at the time. The TSR-24 has quite a modular structure, but due to the limits/cost of memory at the time they were made you would likely run out of RAM before you'd finished designing your patch if you're being experimental. I picked up a TSR-12 recently because it was cheap (about £60) but haven't had chance to check it out yet.

If you're ok with a bit of grunge and character, the Yamaha SPX models, the Midiverb/Quadraverb and the Zoom 12xx series all have usable stuff in them for the cost of a couple of nights out.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

I realize I didn't followed up on this topic... Please excuse my slightly lessened cognitive abilities gents :oops:
Ben Kohonays wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:08 am
I used to have a Lexicon MPX500 multi which was pretty good for the price, I particularly liked the delays on it. Has midi so can be synced quite easily. The model up from it, the MPX1, can be had for reasonable money these days. Check the encoders are OK before buying.
(...)
If you're ok with a bit of grunge and character, the Yamaha SPX models, the Midiverb/Quadraverb and the Zoom 12xx series all have usable stuff in them for the cost of a couple of nights out.
Thanks Ben, I think I'll look for MPX1 and Quadraverb. I'd rather avoid the SPX, always hated the SPX90 and its siblings.
PERIAL wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:43 pm
MOD Duo X
This looks very interesting - specially since most of my fav linux plugins seem to have been ported to it so it would provide me a quite similar ecosystem as the one I'm using for mixing.

Thanks guys for the advises 8-)
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

MOD Duo for sure. It's on my want list.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.