---- Elektron User Topic -----

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Patriek
Mititei
Re: ---- Elektron User Topic -----

Post by Patriek »

timc3 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 am
Have you tried removing Push 2 and Machine then seeing if the problem still exists?
If that is the cause perhaps you can connect those to another hub, to another USB port on your MacBook.
Yeah, sorry! Forgot to mention that I already tried stuff like that. Also, when I connect the same setup to my windows based computer, no issues at all. So I think it has to do with 'limitations' when it comes to USB and available bandwidth.
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Have you tried using it with USB-2 instead of 3? I know for some that USB-2 is more stable (probably maturity of the protocol and implementations).

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

timc3 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:53 pm
Have you tried using it with USB-2 instead of 3? I know for some that USB-2 is more stable (probably maturity of the protocol and implementations).
Will try! Other option is using my new macbook, but still in doubt with regards to an USB-C Soundcard. So fucking happy with my Fireface 800, but that's firewire800 (or 400) and there is no way I can ever hook that up to my new macbook I think :-(
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

I think you can using a USB-C to thunderbolt 1/2 converter and then a thunderbolt to firewire convertor. (Crazy i know), or there are docks that have firewire. OWC have a 13 port dock with firewire.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Anyone gone to 1.45b?

Seems that Elektron fucked quite a lot up in 1.45a so I'm waiting for now...

Edit : release notes : https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uplo ... readme.pdf

P0607r0n
Metric Martyr

Post by P0607r0n »

Oh, I think I'm still on 1.45, and I recently had a head scratch because of the pattern changing in infinite pattern lenght mode (I'm fucking about with polyrythms). So I guess I'll jump on to the 1.45b as it'stands apparently fixed.

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

Been a while since I posted on here but been lurking a bit recently. Just bought a AR mk1 off eBay which is my first bit of hardware gear and loving it. However, I’m a bit baffled by the midi sync. I’ve tried sending and receiving midi both to and from Ableton but seem to get a bit of a jitter between the two by +- half a bpm. Is this normal for hardware gear or have i missed something? Currently using the usb cable to sync without OB as I have 1.45. Turned off midi receive if sending and vice versa in Ableton and on the AR. Like I say I’m new to hardware so not sure if It’s just me?

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Johnlad wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:31 pm
Been a while since I posted on here but been lurking a bit recently. Just bought a AR mk1 off eBay which is my first bit of hardware gear and loving it. However, I’m a bit baffled by the midi sync. I’ve tried sending and receiving midi both to and from Ableton but seem to get a bit of a jitter between the two by +- half a bpm. Is this normal for hardware gear or have i missed something? Currently using the usb cable to sync without OB as I have 1.45. Turned off midi receive if sending and vice versa in Ableton and on the AR. Like I say I’m new to hardware so not sure if It’s just me?
Well sync of hardware to software can be a nightmare, Overbridge or not. There is so many things to try and many places where the problem is. I would take a look on the elektronaughts forum. I actually don’t sync anymore using OB, I use an iconnect4+ MIDI interface and then MIDI to the Elektrons. I also preroll in the DAW for a couple of bars before and Bitwig lets me offset the clocks somewhat.

If it really annoys you there are devices like the USAMO that can really help.

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

timc3 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:53 am
Johnlad wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:31 pm
Well sync of hardware to software can be a nightmare, Overbridge or not. There is so many things to try and many places where the problem is. I would take a look on the elektronaughts forum. I actually don’t sync anymore using OB, I use an iconnect4+ MIDI interface and then MIDI to the Elektrons. I also preroll in the DAW for a couple of bars before and Bitwig lets me offset the clocks somewhat.

If it really annoys you there are devices like the USAMO that can really help.
Thanks for the advice. Played around with a few things and ended up reverting back to 1.31 for now and using with OB. I lose the DVCO which is a bit gutting but bought it for the drums so will take a hit on that for now until OB2 comes out (if it ever happens... and they make it available for MK1). Hopefully I will find a solution that works soon and I can go back to 1.45.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

I also downgraded mine last week so I could use Overbridge again. I think I will upgrade it again and use one of these plugged into my audio interface to use the analogue outputs of the rytm instead of usb, plus have the dvco.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ada_8 ... ragain.htm

Reading posts on elektronauts from people who're part of the Overbridge beta test program, it looks like it'll still be months before the new version is released...

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

Yeah I was worried if I hooked it up in OB that I’d use that rather than the Rytm. Something which someone else mentioned earlier in the thread but after setting it up I haven’t looked at it once.

Really enjoying the kicks and percussion in there but must admit I find the hi hats and cymbal/rides disappointing. Ended up mostly loading samples in those slots at the moment.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Oh yeah? The hi hats I quite like depending on which sound engine is used. Ride and cowbell I don't find that useful...

Johnlad
quasi-public

Post by Johnlad »

I have been finding that the amp envelopes hardly don’t do anything. Read on electronauts that you have to change a setting in there from hold or auto (can’t remember which but I’ve got it bookmarked) that allows more control over them so hoping this will help make some better hats. Going to try it when I get back from work.

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

Johnlad wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Really enjoying the kicks and percussion in there but must admit I find the hi hats and cymbal/rides disappointing.
I hate to say but I agree with you, I always felt like I was fighting to get a hi-hat/Cymbal/Ride sound that worked for me. This was a huge frustration for me.

Skullrattler
quasi-public

Post by Skullrattler »

Guys, Overbridge is buggy garbage, use it and suffer...
have been finding that the amp envelopes hardly don’t do anything
yep, attack in particular seems broken. Elektron's envelopes have sucked since the Monomcachine.

I'm also finding it hard to get sweet sounding hi hats and cymbals on the Rytm... Very hard to get near 808/ 606 territory. Are the noise generators digital? I think I can hear something ugly that sounds like aliasing.

BTW if anyone has Bome MIDI translator I have made a couple of templates for enhancing control of the Rytm- one of them takes the CCs sent out when muting tracks on the Rytm and converts them to MIDI notes for easy recording and editing in the DAW ( and can send them back to the Rytm). The other converts program changes from the Rytm to MIDI notes for easy mapping to scenes or MIDI recording your live pattern changes.. I can upload them if anyone interested.
The latter is for working around Elektron's shitty implementation of pattern changes on the Rytm and the lack of the Machinedrum goodness in that area.

Fuck Elektron!

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Yep, I'd be interested in those templates please.

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

Rytm Users:
If you haven't checked out the Valer Records AR808 pack, definitely do so. It's a set that uses the analog engine of the Rytm to create an 808 style kit.
1. It's great, close but different
2. Lots of tricks in these to apply to other drums
3. Probably the best hats and cymbals I have heard on the Rytm (but still come up short sometimes)

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ar808-released/7387/93

Check that thread, unfortunately the original download / website is down, but the pack is posted as sysex about 2/3rds down the the thread.

Skullrattler
quasi-public

Post by Skullrattler »

Jean Luc Cougar wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 pm
Rytm Users:
If you haven't checked out the Valer Records AR808 pack, definitely do so.
I saw that but not sure how to upload it without overwriting anything on my Rytm? I don't trust Elektron's sysex deals.

Here are the BOME templates -you will need to define your MIDI interface ( the program change stuff only seems to work with a MIDI DIN connection, not USB, because Elektron)
RYTMutes.zip
(7.16 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
RYTM PC.bmtp.zip
(457 Bytes) Downloaded 32 times
The RYTMutes folder includes a Live drum rack so you can see what's going on!

Vorlis
hunger marcher

Post by Vorlis »

Sysex files for MD & MnM from the 2008 Autechre Quaristice tour: https://we.tl/t-HF4dcB4Bcw :o

Be without
Opposite

Post by Be without »

Hello. I have a digitakt and as you know the output is mono. If I put bx stereo maker on the channel that digitakt incoming audio is on in ableton will that make the output stereo or would there be audio issues? I don’t have much idea but thought this would be the place to ask.