Short Weatherall Tribute

General Chat // Music Discussion
[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY
Short Weatherall Tribute

Post by [wesellboxes] »

This is a nice tribute on the 2nd anniversary of his passing. Feels like the world, and especially the music world, has gone to shit ever since.

youtu.be/RXWKxP_6iiU

kronk
refusenik
Re: Short Weatherall Tribute

Post by kronk »

aye, nice watch that.
no clubs left in galway now really, but thats another story

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Nice story, didn't know that about his "Fail We May, Sail We Must" title/tattoo.

He seemed like such a down-to-earth guy, no bullshit, despite being bang in the middle of it for the 90's. Could easily see others loose the plot with all the attention (or less even!).

I like Cian's show, been listening on and off for years, well worth a listen if you are open to a relatively wide variety of music ..

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

subvers^v wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:37 pm
He seemed like such a down-to-earth guy, no bullshit, despite being bang in the middle of it for the 90's. Could easily see others loose the plot with all the attention (or less even!).
He's skirted around the fact in interviews that he's had issues with ego, substances and not being a nice person at times in the early to mid '90s. Especially when he would play techno in house clubs and vice versa just to piss people off. On reflection, he put this down to a defence mechanism and just being young.

He also famously turned down some very large remix and production offers and that would have set him on the path for millions, instead choosing to live fairly hand to mouth and just making sure there was money coming in to pay the rent. Prior to DJing, he talked about the '80s when it was possible to do a manual job for a few months, save a bit of money and then jack it in knowing there would also be another manual labour job to go to once the money ran out. I guess it was this ethos he carried throughout his non-career.

And yes, it was upon his passing when hundreds of stories all came out you could see how genuine and down to earth he was. Played loads of 100 max capacity gigs in the middle of nowhere. Gave other people CDs and mixes to promoters. Would call random producers up when he liked a record and then pass it on to industry pluggers. Gave endless people warm up slots, promos and on and on.
subvers^v wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:37 pm
I like Cian's show, been listening on and off for years, well worth a listen if you are open to a relatively wide variety of music ..
Would be interested in hearing that, do you have link?

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

https://www.rte.ie/radio/rnag/an-taobh-tuathail/

In irish on an Irish language station but I'm nowhere near fluent and it doesn't bother me when I tune in.

On mon-fri and is paced over the week, more chilled on Monday, kind of orchestral/shoegaze/ambient/folk etc and more house/techno/electro vibe towards end of the week.

Been going a long time now, a hidden gem really as I don't know too many others that listen in (but I keep to myself so that might just be me not knowing much more).

I usually listen back the next day while working ..

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

He's skirted around the fact in interviews that he's had issues with ego, substances and not being a nice person at times...
Who hasn't?! 😃

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

subvers^v wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:46 pm
Who hasn't?! 😃
Yeah, I did mean to add that nobody gets to middle age without a few skeletons in the closet and things they're less than proud of.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

subvers^v wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:42 pm

On mon-fri and is paced over the week, more chilled on Monday, kind of orchestral/shoegaze/ambient/folk etc and more house/techno/electro vibe towards end of the week.
Perfect, added to my daytime listening bookmarks.

kronk
refusenik

Post by kronk »

att is great... the spirit of peel

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

An appropriate slogan for the people of Ukraine right now, especially the guys out front.

It's shocking to watch the chaos and devastation unfold. Hard to see how it's going to play out.

There's talk of a major increase in civilian casualties from here on in. It goes wthout saying but I hope it does not come to that and that there is a peaceful way forward found very soon ..